Cured meats and their uses

YetiDave

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I recently tried to recreate the Black Forest ham taste in a bacon and whilst I got close, the flavour was very intense so I can't really use it for sandwiches. What I did try was a pasta sauce based on a Marcella Hazan recipe for a tomato-butter sauce including some bacon lardons -

450g tinned, chopped tomatoes
1/2 a white onion
A handful of bacon lardons
1.5tbsp beech smoked butter

I fried the lardons, added the tomatoes and whole 1/2 onion and butter, covered and simmered for 45 minutes. Remove the 1/2 onion et voila! One intensely porky flavoured and very simple tomato sauce with a hint of smoke

Do any of you guys make pancetta, guanciale, bacon or other cured meats?

I'll post the bacon recipe if anyone's interested, but it really is more of an ingredient for other dishes than something to eat on a sandwich. But based on this pasta sauce it's a bloody good one; well suited to stews and German dishes

Way to mess with perhaps the most iconic tomato sauce recipe ever! Butter and bacon fat, lipid bliss!

I recently did a rolled pancetta from Ruhlman's book. I cured it in a ziplock for 10 days with tenderquick and rosemary/juniper berries/fresh garlic. Dried it for 3 weeks.

Tomorrow I fry some up for BLT's. I'll try to remember pictures.

IMG01189-20130818-2102_zpsc67c3805.jpg

Yes, I have and do cure meats and so do a lot of other people. If you join the brethren you will be able to search for many discussions about curing meats. good stuff!

I recently tried to recreate the Black Forest ham taste in a bacon and whilst I got close, the flavour was very intense so I can't really use it for sandwiches.

Do any of you guys make pancetta, guanciale, bacon or other cured meats?

I'll post the bacon recipe if anyone's interested, but it really is more of an ingredient for other dishes than something to eat on a sandwich. But based on this pasta sauce it's a bloody good one; well suited to stews and German dishes

I would be interested in your bacon recipe as well as the Black Forest Ham if you would be so kind to share them..

Back