New guy on the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoorenga

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Guess you guys ain't so bad after all. I was kind of wondering with all of thoes flames and skulls. I started off saying I was a newby but I guess I have a few burns under my belt. Not more than a dozen including a couple of failures. The dog didn't think so, so I guess it wasn't a total loss. I live in Olympia Washington where BBQ means cooking weenies and burgers on a gas grill. I'm trying to spread the word. People just don't understand. It's not BBQ if you had to boil it! I think what really got me going on BBQ was a trip I took with my son last year. We went through Kansas City Missouri. We stopped in at a funky little BBQ joint and as we walked through the door I thought I could hear angles singing. That memory has driven me more than anything to get my Qing act together. Some day I hope I can play with the big boys. I'm 57 years old, maried and have one son, three horses, one dog, two cats and a four wheel dirve pick me up truck.

Doug

Welcome, Grab a cold one, and join the fun. Nice thing about those failures, at least the dog won't talk bad about your mistakes.

Welcome Doug, I think your aversion to real Q is that your too close to Oregon. Just ask Dave.

I'm feelin' at home already. Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm going to be doing some serious Qing tomorrow. I have to do ribbs, a roast and pulled pork. I really don't have time to do the pulled pork so I am cheating and starting it tonight in the kitchen oven. I'll half cook it tonight and then toss it in the smoker with the ribbs and roast tomorrow morning. I was hopeing to be able to do it the day before but things have been quite hectic lately.

Doug

Welcome aboard Doug, enjoy what you learn and share what you know. If isn't too late, start your pork butt in the smoker then finish it in the oven. The smoke ring and smoke flavor take place happens prior to the meat reaching 140*. May you and yours have a blessed and happy Easter.

Hoorenga said:
Guess you guys ain't so bad after all. I was kind of wondering with all of thoes flames and skulls. I started off saying I was a newby but I guess I have a few burns under my belt. Not more than a dozen including a couple of failures. The dog didn't think so, so I guess it wasn't a total loss. I live in Olympia Washington where BBQ means cooking weenies and burgers on a gas grill. I'm trying to spread the word. People just don't understand. It's not BBQ if you had to boil it! I think what really got me going on BBQ was a trip I took with my son last year. We went through Kansas City Missouri. We stopped in at a funky little BBQ joint and as we walked through the door I thought I could hear angles singing. That memory has driven me more than anything to get my Qing act together. Some day I hope I can play with the big boys. I'm 57 years old, maried and have one son, three horses, one dog, two cats and a four wheel dirve pick me up truck.

Doug

Great to have you! Being a MoFo (Missouri Folk), I'd have to say that WE do BBQ right! :lol: But, once you make your way around the board some, you'll soon discover that anything worth a dang at all was invented in Illinois.......... :roll: No boiling allowed here!! Take a look around, and make yourself at home! We're all here to help one another, have a good time, and make the best friends in the world, Q'n friends.

Welcome my new brother!

Heath said:
Welcome Doug, I think your aversion to real Q is that your too close to Oregon. Just ask Dave.

Hey, I resemble that remark! Just 'cause I live in Q country NOW doesn't mean those poor Oregonians back home can't appreciate a good pieve of meat. lol

Welcome aboard, Hoorenga! Say hi to God's country for me.

Arlin

Arlin_MacRae said:
Just 'cause I live in Q country NOW doesn't mean those poor Oregonians back home can't appreciate a good pieve of meat. lol

Boiled ribs are one of my "pieves".

But certainly not a pet one!

I tried that ONCE because it was in the recipe. The first clue I had that it wasn't the right method was the color. YUK!

Welcome Doug. Do you remember the name of the "funky little BBQ joint" that you eat at in KC?

Doug, We got a lot of those funky little Q joints, yours sounds a lot like BB's. Did the place have Blues music?
Welcome Brother!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back