View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #9
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's sad to hear. Years ago (before Rudy's was a franchise) I visited the store on the Sea World exit when I was back in Texas on business, but never had gone to the original location. The brisket point and turkey were two of my favorite meats, the sausage was good and possibly the cream corn was my favorite side. The Q was quite good for a gas station take-out kind of thing, not as good as any place in Lockhart, but I had gone there since before the Kreuz family break-up. I actually met Doc Holiday in I believe 2006 while I was back in San Antonio for a re-certification class and to vacation around my old stompin' grounds..., this was at the Sea World store as well. For many years I would mail order Rudy's Rub and the original recipe of Sause (that's their spelling) once a year. After Doc passed, I set out to get a copy cat recipe of the cream corn, and after visiting with several sources did come up with a recipe which is on my cookin' site. I've only been to one of the franchise stores, it was north of SA on one of the loops. Not as good as I recalled but it was doing a brisk business at around 4 in the afternoon, and a lot of take-out orders were heading out the door.

One can only hope you hit them on a bad day, but maybe the franchise is slipping. Good thing is, there is no shortage of good barbecue in Texas.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->