• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wicked Good Charcoal

Ackman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Have they just gone away? I can not find the product any more and their web site has had this message "Our WGC is temporarily sold out"

I looked around this site and did not see anything....

Kamado Joe lump comes from the same manufacturing plant in Argentina as WGWW. Trying picking up a bag of it and see how it compares.

I've heard Wicked Good has had some quality issues, so that may explain it.

And no, KJ lump is not the same. I spoke with one of the owners a month ago about something else and I asked him that question since I see it here all if the time. He said it is not the same. They are both South American, but are sourced from different countries. I like KJ lump better.

I found Wicked Good at a local Ace Hardware here in ATL. I also bought a bag of KJ lump. More large pieces in the WG, but other than that, I can't tell a difference.

If you email WG, they can help you find local vendors. They responded quickly to me.

Personally I think the WG Weekend Warrior lump is over rated and over priced. I'll stick with RO lump or the Publix Greenwise brand.

Wicked Good charcoal is great quality wood with less ash than Kingsford but I've found Stubbs charcoal is a pretty similar product....being 100% natural like Wicked Good and burns just as good.

I've heard Wicked Good has had some quality issues, so that may explain it.

And no, KJ lump is not the same. I spoke with one of the owners a month ago about something else and I asked him that question since I see it here all if the time. He said it is not the same. They are both South American, but are sourced from different countries. I like KJ lump better.

Nu, I'm not disputing what you are saying but I called KJ customer service and asked them about KJ lump and what I posted above is what they told me. Did you speak to someone at WGWW or KJ?

Nu, I'm not disputing what you are saying but I called KJ customer service and asked them about KJ lump and what I posted above is what they told me. Did you speak to someone at WGWW or KJ?
One of the owners at KJ. He went into specific detail as to what South American countries they source their wood from and the woods they use, and what country WGWW sources wood from. I guess it is possible they are produced in the same factory maybe, but the sources of the woods are different.

Personally I think the WG Weekend Warrior lump is over rated and over priced. I'll stick with RO lump or the Publix Greenwise brand.
I don't know about that man! Unless they have slipped in quality I don't think there's a better lump on the planet than Wicked. I always used RO and down here we have B&B, (both of which are very good) but the Wicked Good that I used in the past was twice as dense, burned longer, hotter and with less ash production. I remember holding a piece that was so heavy and hard feeling that it reminded me of black obsidian rock. Wicked Good, when it's wicked good is just a different animal all together IMHO !LOL

They have slipped in quality for sure. I just split a pallet with CarolinaQue, and the stuff was kind of crappy. Wasn't impressed at all. It burned way too quick and left more ash than it used to. Mostly annoyed it burned up so quick. Not what they used to be.

They have slipped in quality for sure. I just split a pallet with CarolinaQue, and the stuff was kind of crappy. Wasn't impressed at all. It burned way too quick and left more ash than it used to. Mostly annoyed it burned up so quick. Not what they used to be.
Well that figures! Houses have gone from being built with brick and real 2x4s to OSB and 1 1/5 x 2 1/2s, Cadillacs went from full sized, solid steel luxury cars to over priced, slightly nicer looking, half plastic Chevy Malibus and now Wicked Good has gone wicked bad! Is it just me or is everything going to hades in a hand basket!:mmph::cry:

The WGWW I have used has been great but is no longer available through my local ACE. I tried KJ a couple of weeks ago and liked it a lot even though the pieces were smaller. Both brands are more dense and burn longer than the red bag RO.

WGC is always sold out in the summer. It's the Canadians that have to shop around for alternatives. Minus being hard to light, I've used it several time and the WGC is top notch.

Same experience here. My last batch burned faster, dirtier and was really "sparky". Prompted me to look for other brands. I do hope they get their house back in order.

I heard back from Wicked Good:

Steve ...

It's available, just had an inconvenient inventory deficit! We no longer supply Ace Hardware Corporation. I haven't opened the shopping cart yet because the person doing the FedEx shipping at the warehouse quit (w/o notice), so they need to train a new person. Hopefully I'll get it back open one day this week.

Back