Planning on smoking a brisket for Easter Sunday

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've always bought my packers from HEB but considering buying one from Costco. Anyone have experience with Costco packers? I would like to try and get a choice or select which HEB in my town doesn't sell. Is there quite a bit of difference in better grade? Thanks.

I just smoked one from Costco last weekend for the first time. The wife said it was my best ever.

Have not bought a brisket there, but the meat there is always great quallity.

i would like to know the big difference in choice vs select, personal experience?

Unless it is the extreme ends of the grading scale like Almost Prime and Barely Select there aint enough difference to warrant the expense. Beef is graded higher up and farther back than the brisket ( IRC between the 4-5 rib) it is fine for the higher cuts where the marbling is more pronounced. On a Brisket not so much because it is exercised more and essential to the movement of the animal so the marbling is very close between the grades. I have cooked Select & Choice side by side on more than on occasion and gotten a better product from the Select about 50 % of the time.

A lot of folks on this site buy their meats from Costco and I have never heard any complaints outside of the fact that their butts only come in boneless form. Some also report that only brisket flats are available, but I think that's a location thing, to be honest.

A lot of folks on this site buy their meats from Costco and I have never heard any complaints outside of the fact that their butts only come in boneless form. Some also report that only brisket flats are available, but I think that's a location thing, to be honest.

same here, i dont like buying boneless butts, but i do like the 2 pack.

My wife brought home a 6.61lb choice brisket from our Costco the other day ($2.19/lb) that said 'full brisket' on the cryovac. Being that light I assuming it was just a brisket flat, but when I got it out it turned out to be a little packer, with a small point. :mrgreen:

Ended up really tasty, a nicer brisket than I get at Safeway, and over a buck a lb cheaper.

i would like to know the big difference in choice vs select, personal experience?

No roll>select>choice>prime

Between no roll and prime, you can tell. Alot of it is the quality and marbling of the meat, how the cow was fed, etc. but between any two, i.e NR/select select/choice choice/prime, you arent going to tell much difference.

I cooked 2 last weekend for a comp. They had little to no point, good flavor in the flat. I haven't been able to find a full packer with a thick point yet at my local Costco.

Picked up a choice packer at SAMs today. 18lbs! @ 2.49/lb. We'll see how it turns out.

The costcos here has nothing but full packets and they have been great for teaching me how to cook to tender. I have cooked good select briskets but choice is about the same price as select here so I cook choice. You should look for bend/marbling/softness in any brisket I say go getcha a costcos full choice packer and cook it to tender see if you like it.

Back