Skirt Steak is Off My List

Bo, Try them cooked to more of a well to medium well. Not sure what you bought but never had the issue with SS as you had. They are Great for Taco's and Burrito's with some Cilantro, Pico De Gallo and Mexican cheese.

The SS you are talking about, something is amiss, these have been a staple of the Mexican food for ages. Try them again, cooking then correctly. Not meaning you do not know how to cook but I think in this scenario that may be the reason..

OK, if I get another good deal on it I may try it again. This one was CAB. I was surprised by all of the SS on it. If not for that, it would have been pretty good.

I will have to look into a marinade for it.

Were these unpeeled skirt steaks by any chance? By the pricing you mentioned, I am thinking they may have been. The outside skirt has a thick membrane that must be removed, and it is a pain in the @ss. It is usually already butchered when you buy in the grocery store, but at that price maybe it wasn't.

Did it look like this?

skirt+steak+001.jpg

If so, that is not silver skin, that is the membrane from the "outside skirt steak." A lot of times that is what your butcher gets, which he usually peels off for retail sales. If you don't buy the peeled inside skirts at restaurant depot, this is what you get from them. You HAVE TO remove this peel fully as it will not break down during the cooking process.

Yeah Dont give Up !!!
Skirt Steak rocks When Cooked over a real hot Fire .. Here In AZ We use alot of Mesquite and Costco here ALWAYS has good skirt steak . We also Use " Flap Meat " alot... similar to skirt steak but doesnt seem to marinade for as long it seems to kinda fall apart when marinated too long.:icon_smile_tongue:

Back