Fall off the bone ribs?

dave32063

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've seen several BBQ places lately advertising "fall off the bone" ribs. I also had a buddy of mine, who hasn't had my Q yet, kidding me about somebody else's ribs being so tender they fall off the bone completely. All I can think is "Really, you like your ribs overcooked to a mush"?
Seriously, I'm relatively new, only smoking a few years, but everything I've studied, and the goal I shoot for is ribs that are tender enough to chew, but still holding to the bone. And I get it right pretty often.
So what's with all this fall off the bone business?
Different tastes I guess.

I believe they are trying to make "Falling off the bone" mean they are real tender, I think. We take that expression literally and it sounds pretty overcooked to me.

Face it! Most people in the U.S.A have not had really good BBQ and it our responsibility to enlighten them, one rack at a time!

Most people like falling off the bone ribs , who are we to say they overcook or what. Sometime we watch too many of those cooking shows ,that dictate to use what is good or what we should eat

Many restaurants cook ribs early in the day and have to keep them warm throughout the entire shift and the ribs tend to over cook. So, they "go with it" and brag about their "fall off the bone" ribs.

It's kind of like the old French baker who answered someone who complained about his sweat dripping in the bread dough as he formed it into balls by saying "The best bread has the baker's sweat in it."

I don't believe in either claim.

Most people like falling off the bone ribs , who are we to say they overcook or what. Sometime we watch too many of those cooking shows ,that dictate to use what is good or what we should eat

I agree here. There were many years when the ribs I liked fell off the bone. If they fall apart completely then, no. IMO there's nothing wrong with FotB ribs - unless they're being judged.

I like a little pull my self but if they falling off the bone you get lot more compliments

i'd argue that most people don't know really what they like.

;o)

on the serious side..... people who know true que (or even more extreme, bbq nerds, like us) seem to be a different breed and don't like or accept inferior bbq. as a contrast, i'm also a beer nerd and know a bunch of beer nerds, but we all think there is also a time and a place for pbr, bud, etc... just seems like bbq nerds draw their lawns darker and deeper.

The following is my opinion and not intended to be a guideline for everyone else.

Fallin off the bone = Pulled Pork with bones in it.

Slide off the bone = Very good, but could use a little more texture.

Gently tugs off the bone = Perfect!

Tears off the bone = Good but could have cooked longer.

Gnaws off the bone = Not done to me, but hey some like em that way.

i'd argue that most people don't know really what they like.

;o)

on the serious side..... people who know true que (or even more extreme, bbq nerds, like us) seem to be a different breed and don't like or accept inferior bbq. as a contrast, i'm also a beer nerd and know a bunch of beer nerds, but we all think there is also a time and a place for pbr, bud, etc... just seems like bbq nerds draw their lawns darker and deeper.

You are spot on! I'm also a beer nerd and I tell people that say they don't like beer that they have not had a beer they like just because there are so many styles and sub sets of styles that if they want to try they will find a beer they like.

BBQ is like that. I have a friend that swore up and down that she did not like St Louis style ribs but liked other style ribs a lot so I made some St Louis style ribs but did not tell her what style ribs they were. She loved them!

I like a PBR sometimes but really do not like Bud much but I'll eat and enjoy some not so good BBQ just because it hits the spot at the time.

I've never had awful BBQ but I've had a bunch of just ok BBQ.

I like my ribs to be tender and tasty with a bit of a pull off the bone.

QDat- that cross reference is great!! My wife likes the fall off ribs, I am more of a gentle tug man, so to speak.

I like fall off the bone ribs.
Don't like butts, brisket, etc injected with anything.
Don't like competition Q.
That's just me.

I agree here. There were many years when the ribs I liked fell off the bone. If they fall apart completely then, no. IMO there's nothing wrong with FotB ribs - unless they're being judged.

There you go folks!

It's kind of like the old French baker who answered someone who complained about his sweat dripping in the bread dough as he formed it into balls by saying "The best bread has the baker's sweat in it."

Reminds me of a story...

The owner of my favorite bbq restaurant was interviewed by a book writer. They are an Eastern North Carolina establishment where they serve whole hogs that are completely chopped and all the parts mixed together (is there really any other way?). Their chopping block is wood and at least 4" thick the best I remember. This guy told the interviewer that they go through a block a year, flipping the one they are using over to the other side about midway through the year as it develops a pronounced belly as time goes by. The interviewer asked him, "Doesn't that mean wood gets into the bbq?" His response...

"Our wood tastes better than most folk's bbq"

I'm new but I've always like my ribs to have a bit of a tug to release the meat from the bone.

As for beer, we are Beer SNOBS, not nerds. :p

I will never touch any kind of Budweiser although I will endulge in some Mich Golden from time to time which of course is an Anheuser Busch product. I try to stick with some local Brews like Surly's or on the more inexpensive side, Schell's. I always drift to my German roots as well with Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Spaten, etc...

Personally, I like a little texture to the meat.

Having said that, the absolute worst ribs I ever ate were boiled. They had some texture and there was sauce, but boiling just removes any pork flavor.

Back