• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Invitational/Qualifer qualifications. **renamed **

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Another thread made my right brain ask me a question that my left brain couldnt answer.

Scenario:

Theres a contest with 25 teams signed up. So it qualifies as a Qualifier for the Big Invitationals.

One of the team screws up a catagory or 2 and gets DQ'ed in them.

There is now only have 24 scores in some catagories.

Does the contest loose the the status as a 'Qualifier'. ?

Next Scenario.

Same contest.

AFTER judging a team gets DQ'ed for whatever. (fighting, using gas, cheating, whatever). The DQ drops the team count to 24.

Again what happens to the qualifier status. ?

Just curious. :confused:

On EDIT: Wording Edited base on plowboys correction to original question.

Trick question. It is a state championship because of the governor proclamation.

I think the question that you are asking is if it qualifies for the invitationals. What I understand is that scenario #2 takes the contest out of the invitationals. Not sure about #2. I believe that Jack looks at individual categories so that contests don't have a few "chicken only" teams just to make their numbers.

yeah.. thats what I meant. Invitational qualifiers. i edited the original question. thanks.

So u think that if a team gets a full DQ for whatever, it wrecks the GC's chances at the jack?

It still should be a qualifier as long as the disqualification occurred after all 25 teams have turned in their meats.

But don't hold me to it, I'm just guessing. Now if for some reason the disqualification occurred before turn ins, I thinkg there would be a problem.

And what if on game day, team 25 is a no show. All of a sudden 24 teams are screwed?

I know thats when organizers scramble to get a 'chicken only' team cooking on a smokey joe, but what if they cant. ?

And what if on game day, team 25 is a no show. All of a sudden 24 teams are screwed?

I know thats when organizers scramble to get a 'chicken only' team cooking on a smokey joe, but what if they cant. ?

From what I understand, the 24 are screwed.

I can't find invitational qualifications on the Jack or AMR site right now. They detail the requirements for their contests.

We went around the mulberry bush about this at the end of last season with the Utah contests. And the official line was, all 25 teams have to turn in all four meats.
But somehow auditing the season turns up a few discrepancies.

Who provides Invitiational contests with the actual State Champ results/score sheets that allows them to audit something like team count or DQ's ?

Trick question. It is a state championship because of the governor proclamation.

Once a contest is proclaimed by the governor, is the contest always a state championship or does it have to have a proclimation every year?

Here's my understanding of the rule changes that happened in 2008

The year started off that as long as 25 teams were entered and turned in one catagory, the comp was used as a qualifier.

Then the rule changed that 25 teams need to turn in 4 catagories on time to qualify.

Then because a nameless team was 40 seconds late turning in a brisket at a 25 team comp, the rule was changed again that as long as 25 teams turn in all 4 catagories regardless if it is late or not the comp would be a qualifier. Late entries would get scored 1-1-1 across the board which is still technically a disqualification but, since it gets a score of 20, it makes 25 teams.

That's how I understood the changes as in the Bullsheet this past year. I hope Rod or Merl correct me or elaborate further.

From what I understand, it has to proclaimed by the Governor every year. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Once a contest is proclaimed by the governor, is the contest always a state championship or does it have to have a proclimation every year?

Based on Jeff's comments about the Pleasant Hill contest, he said they got a proclamation last year so they are good to go this year.

Aren't you an organizer for a NE State Championship? :roll:

If a state has more then 1 governor state championship proclimation ... what's the point? Or does it need that proclaimation in order to be recognized as a qualifier?

I think that if a contest has been declared a state championship by the governor only 25 teams are needed to make it a qualifier, without the state championship designation I think it needs 50 teams.

I think that if a contest has been declared a state championship by the governor only 25 teams are needed to make it a qualifier, without the state championship designation I think it needs 50 teams.

15 the first year

Once a contest receives a proclamation its good forever, no need to re-up it every year. If a contest has the proclamation it is a state championship. If its the state championships first year, it takes 15 teams to meet the qualification criteria, every year after it takes 25 teams to meet the criteria.

The State championship proclamation is just white gravy if its not a qualifer for the GAB, Jack, AR, or some big contest. I'd like to know if a contest can loose its qualifier status after the teams arrived due to a team:

not turning in a catagory
getting DQ in one or more catagories
getting DQ from the event itself due to rule infraction
or just not showing up

????

Back