• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

2010 Independence Day Weekend BBQ Brethren Throwdown

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Independence Day is the national day of the United States of America, commemorating the adoption of the document that declared our independence from Great Britain. While the official date that the Continental Congress voted to separate themselves from Great Britain was July 2nd, the date that is celebrated is the date this historic document that was adopted, printed and first signed.
dc-fireworks.jpg

Fireworks and Barbecue are mainstays of American 4th of July celebrations. While the Brethren are international, and many do not observe this weekend or even know when it comes up, a great deal of the membership here knows it and recognizes it as one of, if not the biggest BBQ weekends celebrated in the American summer.

So, this American holiday weekend will be used to host a Special BBQ Brethren throwdown! Our category is...
"By the Book"

This idea was proposed by thirdeye, the winner of our Special 2010 Memorial Day Open Throwdown. The idea is to make a dish from or inspired by a recipe in one of your favorite cookbooks.

Also, as a Special Throwdown, the winner will receive a copy of Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces.

This book was donated to the Throwdown cause as a prize by our fellow brethren CarbonToe! He actually shipped this book to me, all the way across that great big pond, just so I could give it away as a prize. This seems even more appropriate somehow for us to have a gift from Great Britain! For that, I would like to thank CarbonToe!:cool:

These are the rules for the 2010 Independence Day Weekend BBQ Brethren Throwdown:

1. This is an open category, meaning any type of BBQ food will be accepted (see Rule 2).
2. The dish must be accompanied by a picture or mention of the book the recipe came from. If you made a variation to the recipe as stated in the book, details on the variation are appreciated. Please do not copy the original recipe on the Throwdown threads, as anyone should be able to find them in the book you used.
3. The item must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients in a prominent manner.
4. Submitted dishes must be cooked between Friday 7/2 and Monday 7/5.
4. All pics (any number) must be submitted by Midnight Central Time on 7/6 (an extra day is being allowed for those who will be out of town).
5. You can make multiple entries into this Throwdown if you like. Just like at a bash, I would not expect people to share only one dish, but any number of dishes they would like to share.
6. You are allowed to touch up your photos for clarity, or to add the dish/item to a more interesting background if you like.
7. By posting your photos, you are granting consent for your photo to be reused for other BBQ Brethren related postings or materials.
8. Any joke photos, or photos of past creations you wish to show off must have a disclaimer stating that the photo is not intended to be included in the Vote thread.
9. If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, DO NOT COMPLAIN TO ME! Instead, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.
10. If I find an entry to have violated these simple rules, I reserve the right to disqualify that entry.
11. As at any neighborhood block party, the kids are present and part of the festivities, so please keep your posts family friendly.
12. Since this is a virtual online bash, I expect everyone to have fun, but also remember there are kids around. Anyone caught not having fun will be asked to leave until they are fun again.

Best of luck, and good eats to everyone!:cool:

Oh Say can you see by the dawns early light what so proudly we smoked as the twilight last gleaming....

Hmmm...interesting...it just so happens I plan to do some beef ribs from Adam Perry Lang's "BBQ 25" book...good timing. :cool:

Wings for the 4th

Decided to try a new wing recipe tonight. I rubbed the wings with our rub and put them on the UDS. Smoked them for 2 hrs and dressed them with a Chipotle BBQ sauce. The inspiration came from a recipe the Marlboro cook book I have had for 10 years page 37 appetizer menu. Only change I made was using our rub.

Last edited:
Decided to try a new wing recipe tonight. I rubbed the wings with our rub and put them on the UDS. Smoked them for 2 hrs and dressed them with a Chipotle BBQ sauce. The inspiration came from a recipe the Marlboro cook book I have had for 10 years page 37 appetizer menu. Only change I made was using our rub.
Newbie to the throwdowns here . . . so, does this constitute an entry?

This looks incredibly delicious to me! Thanks!

Tonight's cook was inspired by a recipe that I found in The Ultimate Turkey Fryer Cookbook (Page 188 ), Cajun Prime Rib. This recipe called for injecting the Prime Rib with Cajun Injector Marinade Creole Garlic Injection. Of course, I didn't have any, but I remembered a recipe on Pellethead.com that used a garlic & Onion injection and marinade, so I went with that.

http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=2863.0

So I made up the injection/marinade per the recipe. It calls for 4-6 bulbs (not cloves) of garlic. That's a lot of garlic. I injected what I could into the roast and rubbed the rest on the outside and let it rest in a big zipper bag in the refrigerator overnight. I took it our today to come up to room temp as I started up the FEC-100.

PA110112-1.JPG

Once the FEC was up to temp I put the roast in and cooked it at 250 until it hit 130 degrees internal (about 4 hours). then I dropped the FEC to 140 and held the roast for a couple of hours while I prepped the rest of the meal. Here is the roast in the FEC at the end of the cook time.

PA120116.JPG

As mentioned yesterday, the meal included twice baked potatoes. I used the weber gasser for those...

PA120120.JPG

PA120122.JPG

Once the rest was ready I brought in the roast and sliced it for dinner...

PA120125.JPG

PA120128.JPG

PA120133.JPG

(use this picture)

Newbie to the throwdowns here . . . so, does this constitute an entry?

This looks incredibly delicious to me! Thanks!
That would be an entry allright! Entries look great so far. Anything cooked from Friday through today that is based on a recipe from a book counts, and you have until midnight tomorrow to post your entries.

This was a group effort. Part of the problem is that our cookbooks are several thousand miles away. We did find one at our friend's house that will do nicely.

IMG_6083.jpg

There is not much grilled, so we did have to modify the recipe a bit in this respect. Also the mushrooms were a relative of chanterelles and we were all out of green onions.

IMG_6084.jpg

Here's the result

IMG_6067-2-1.jpg

Nice looking entries so far, but what is this thing called a "book"? :wink:

Bythebookthrowdown1.jpg

Well, the book part of the Throwdown is no problem..... :thumb:.

I'm hoping to squeeze in a couple of photos later today. We were at a family reunion all weekend, and despite Mrs ~t~'s uncle having a six-burner gas grill, we had to haul this New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker out of the tall grass and up the hill to do some serious smoking. I haven't uploaded the rest of the reunion photos yet, and I have some from last nights meal too..... I hope some are keepers.

DSC00633acrop-1.jpg

Look close, there are a couple of elk in the background of the bottom photo.

DSC00660a.jpg

DSC00672a.jpg

I'll show off my By the Book Throwdown entry post in reverse. The top picture was the serve yourself line in the kitchen. All decked out with stars and stripes. These ribs are "Friday Night Spareribs" from Dr BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook. Cooked in the New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker. These took longer than Ray's ribs.... only because the cooker was unfamiliar to me. But, you can't rush a rib. These shots are about 4 hours into a 7 hour cook.​

DSC00665a.jpg

DSC00667a.jpg

We also celebrated with sausages, an American favorite. These came by way of "Hot Links and Country Favorites" by Aidells and Kelly. I even followed their "quick and easy" grilling instructions, part of which mentioned "The secret to grilling sausages is to turn them frequently as they cook to ensure even browning. Keep the heat as even as possible and put out any flare ups as soon as they occur. And don't overcook the sausages".

DSC00657ac.jpg

The photo below is my entry photo.

DSC00656ac.jpg

OK heres my pictures to post these are spare ribs smoked 6.5 hrs oh man they were good hope I win

Attachments

• DSC02844.jpg
    DSC02844.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC02845.jpg
    DSC02845.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC02858.jpg
    DSC02858.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 66
Happy 4th!

Greetings patriotic BBQ fans! To celebrate the holiday, I teed up this little lakeside pork tenderloin rotisserie session before I saw later that there was a 4th of July TD in the works here.

My picnic location was a city park near Hartford, Connecticut which offered a great view of the fireworks once the sun went along on its merry way.

IMG_0082.JPG

In the name of portable practicality, I tried using the Cowboy Lump single-use “light the bag” type charcoal for the first time. It was amazing how much lighter fluid they packed into that little bag. It probably took at least 15 minutes for it to die down to a reasonably sane bed of coals. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
Anyway, added a couple rubs to the tenderloin and that was about it. I did end up having to tent with foil near the end to be sure I got the whole piece cooked before the charcoal ran out.
IMG_0081.JPG

I didn’t realize there was a Throwdown, so I didn’t take pictures of the finished product, so nothing fancy to submit for this round, but thought I would enter what I had...but as I went to enter this in, I see that my entry needed to be "by the book" which it wasn't, so...:doh: I guess I will DQ myself right here and just say Hello and Happy 4th!

Great looking entries in here! I've been SWAMPED the last few days, so have not had a chance to put up the vote thread yet, let alone read any other threads!:tsk: I'll get the vote up soon, I promise!:becky: (I just did a driveby here to get the new Throwdown up)

Back