Cooking Class Fast Eddy and Butcher BBQ

Smokin Mike

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Join us on December 4th and 5th, 2009!

Join other enthusiastic barbecue cooks for Cookshack's 2009 Fast Eddy’s Cooking Class, December 4 – 5, to learn how to prepare championship quality barbecue. This popular class sells out early so reserve your spot today.
Ed "Fast Eddy" Maurin, well-known championship cook, and David Bouska, Butcher BBQ Team and 3rd ranked KCBS champion, will teach class participants their secrets of winning barbecue.
The class includes lectures and demonstrations, and class members prepare and smoke chicken, ribs, pork butt, and brisket in state-of-the-art Fast Eddy’s by Cookshack smoker ovens provided by Cookshack.
This hands-on class is right for anyone who wants to improve his or her barbecue cooking skills. Past participants have included competition cooks, caterers, backyard barbecuers, restaurant owners and chefs. Kell Phelps, publisher of the National Barbecue News and Derrick Riches, about.com Barbecue Guide have taken the class.
Class members have gone on to win grand championships at the Jack Daniels Invitational BBQ, the Houston Livestock & Rodeo World BBQ Championship, and the American Royal.
The cost of the class is $300. Consider it an investment. Carolyn Wells, Executive Director of the Kansas City Barbeque Society, estimates that KCBS-sanctioned events will pay out $2.2 million to winners in 2009.
Class Highlights
Complimentary KCBS Certified Barbecue Judging Class -- learn what judges are looking for
Welcome dinner with menu of whole hog, salmon, prime rib, pork loin, turkey breast, sides and dessert
Lectures and demonstrations by instructors who will tell you how to make championship 'que!
Hands on prep and cooking experience with Fast Eddy's smokers provided by Cookshack to improve your barbecue skills to a new level
Make new friends who love barbecue as much as you do

Sign up now to be on your way to being a championship barbecue cook! Call us at 1-800-423-0698 or read more online.
Your Instructors

Ed “Fast Eddy” Maurin

Ed, a retired Kansas City firefighter, makes his home in Kansas City and can frequently be found in Ponca City working on product improvements and development with our R&D team. He has been a winner on the barbecue circuit since the early 1990’s. He travels to barbecue competition events across the USA, and has appeared on national television barbecue cooking programs such as Chris Lilly's All-Star Barbecue Championship Series, the Versus BBQ Championship Series, and ESPN2's Competitive Edge.

David Bouska, Butcher BBQ Team

Meat processor David Bouska started competing under the team name Butcher BBQ in 2006. As of mid-September, 2009, the team is ranked third in the nation by the Kansas City Barbeque Society.
The team has accumulated 5 Grand Championships, 3 Reserve Grand Championships, 12 top 5 finishes overall, and 33 top 5 finishes in all individual categories. Most recently Butcher BBQ ranked in the top ten overall at the 2009 American Royal Invitational, competing against 119 "best of the best" teams. In 2008 Butcher BBQ cooked the Jack Daniels World BBQ Cook-off and placed 1st in pork and 4th overall.
He has 28 years’ experience in the meat industry; judging, presentation, curing meats, making sausages, and smoking meats are a few of the skills he has acquired. He serves on the Board of Directors for the Oklahoma & Texas Meat Processors Association.

Hmmmm...well Swamp...do you think we can schmooze the womenfolk and bug out for this one? I'll get mine all liquored up tonight and let you know in the mornin'...:twisted:

If it was Sat/Sun ... yes. But I've pretty much eaten all my days up til Jan 1.

If it was Sat/Sun ... yes. But I've pretty much eaten all my days up til Jan 1.

Does anyone know if the judging part is Fri or Sa? Bob, if it is Fri night you can skip that since you are a judge. I have no interest in going through judging class again.

I think I am going to go. Anyone else in?

Swamprb and I are seriously considering it. If we can swing it...we're in. We need to know what the judging criteria is back east as opposed to the Pacific Northwest so we can adjust our game plan for the Royal...or (hopefully) the Jack next year. I think my wife is on board as well...and I'm pretty sure I can deduct the expenses through our catering business as education and training. :rolleyes:

Swamprb and I are seriously considering it. If we can swing it...we're in. We need to know what the judging criteria is back east as opposed to the Pacific Northwest so we can adjust our game plan for the Royal...or (hopefully) the Jack next year. I think my wife is on board as well...and I'm pretty sure I can deduct the expenses through our catering business as education and training. :rolleyes:

You might be supprised to know that the judging criteria in the Mid-west is the same as the Pacifice Northwest. Up until several years ago, judging a PNWBA contest could be counted toward KCBS Master Judges points. It has more to do with local tastes and flavors and the number of CBJ's at the local contest as well as your cooking abilities.

Mack

Should be a great class! Eddy has more BBQ knowledge in his pinky, than I've got in 15 years :0

You might be supprised to know that the judging criteria in the Mid-west is the same as the Pacifice Northwest. Up until several years ago, judging a PNWBA contest could be counted toward KCBS Master Judges points. It has more to do with local tastes and flavors and the number of CBJ's at the local contest as well as your cooking abilities.

Mack

That's what we're lookin' for...:p I wonder why judging PNWBA comps no longer counts toward KCBS points now?

Looks like I got the thumbs up from the boss...she's treating it as my early Christmas present! Cool...:cool: Time to check the flight schedule and wake up Swamprb. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm thinking about going depending on schedule...anyone know if Pellet Envy/Trig OS/HT is having a class in the midwest again this year?

Last edited:
Back