View Single Post
Old 01-26-2005, 04:16 PM   #29
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommykendall
Quote:
I don't know that I'd say "worthless", Bill. True, that you can get a truer reading with the probe and a potato trick. But I've found that my door gauges are not far off from the mark.
If you got the NB brand, you're one lucky dog. I've had two that read from 20-35 degrees off - sometimes higher, sometimes lower. They do what they want to do. Lucky for my move, it's now more reliable than ever. Completely farking busted - least it's a consistent reading now - zero.
What I normally do is to dangle my probe down through the exhaust, making sure to wrap the extra wire around the exhaust tip once so it does not slip. Depending on how much meat I am cooking and what kind determines where I place my probe. If doing only ribs, pork butt or brisket then I make sure the meat is farther away from the bottom and firebox side with the probe dangling dead center of the cooker. If cooking chicken or turkey I tend to have those toward the bottom of the cooking chamber and closer to the firebox. At that point my probe would be hanging a little lower then usual.

Bill, I do have the NB - and they both passed the 212* water test (+ or - 5*) How long that'll last.......who knows? Don't know if David Klose's gauges are any better or not, maybe someone who has one can comment.

Belly, I know that's how KC like to do his (he dangles his probe, too - hee, hee!) Where do you rest your thermo or transmitter? The cable on mine doesn't seem long enough to be able to rest it on a table or something nearby. (No Way, was I gonna say my probes not long enough! LMAO!)

Modified Bandera
Charmglow All Stainless Gas
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
Fabricated All-Wood Burn Barrel
BC Select Outdoor Fryer