• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

G$, Bandera Constructed

Status
Not open for further replies.
G$ said:
'New' ones do not even come with door therm .... just a silver button ........
G - you are welcome here, trust me! That button is an electrical knock-out closure. Go to the nearest Home Depot, and find what used to be, a New Braunfels temp guage - it Charbroil now, since they bought them out. The face is about 3 1/2 " round and they sell for $20.00. It's not a Klose gauge, but it will do the trick. Pop the K.O.C. out and install the gauge. I've installed 2 on the door of my Bandera (High and Low - but above the baffle). Also helps to buy oven thermometers to hang on the racks in different areas to get a good reading on your cooking chamber.

Have you done the modifications yet? Baffle and Fire grate are essential. Deja Vu of KC and TK! (oops) :mrgreen:

G - you are welcome here, trust me! That button is an electrical knock-out closure. Go to the nearest Home Depot, and find what used to be, a New Braunfels temp guage - it Charbroil now, since they bought them out. The face is about 3 1/2 " round and they sell for $20.00. It's not a Klose gauge, but it will do the trick. Pop the K.O.C. out and install the gauge. I've installed 2 on the door of my Bandera (High and Low - but above the baffle). Also helps to buy oven thermometers to hang on the racks in different areas to get a good reading on your cooking chamber.

Have you done the modifications yet? Baffle and Fire grate are essential. Deja Vu of KC and TK! (oops)

Mr. sasmokin, Yeah I know you have to get the therm after market ... my point was I had not done that yet ... and they do not come with the new Banderas although i guess thye used to? and I wanted to at least get that calibrated to my probe thermometer and hanging oven thermometer on the cooler parts of my seasoning burn, as I fooled with the dampers and all.

And, as if you were reading my mind, I have also not seasoned her up because I have not built a new fire box grate yet, although I do have the expanded steel around and some sheet for the baffle.

And wood chips, wet or dry, are gone in a poof.

chunks or logs in the Dera

glad you found us

Bill....I am glad I found you too, and understand the popular opinion and science surrounding the negativity expressed toward wet chips. My only counter to this is: my fabled brother in law (Don't we all have one or two?) turns out great brisket and butt in his bandera...and he uses wet chips. For the record....he has made no modifications to the Bandera, mops with an old sock, uses his Daddy's old recipe, and was bread on BBQ in Texas. Just worth noting, thar may be more than one way to skin a cat.

And I think I will find out what most of those ways are if I spend more time here among you all.

G$ said:
Bill....I am glad I found you too, and understand the popular opinion and science surrounding the negativity expressed toward wet chips. My only counter to this is: my fabled brother in law (Don't we all have one or two?) turns out great brisket and butt in his bandera...and he uses wet chips. For the record....he has made no modifications to the Bandera, mops with an old sock, uses his Daddy's old recipe, and was bread on BBQ in Texas. Just worth noting, thar may be more than one way to skin a cat.

And I think I will find out what most of those ways are if I spend more time here among you all.

G
I am no preaching. There are so many here that are turning out competition brisket, that I cannot even compare my Q too.

As for the brother in law, mine is from Texas, and he was shocked I knoew my POOPIE and turned out good Q.

Let taste be the judge

willkat98 said:
G$ said:
'New' ones do not even come with door therm .... just a silver button ........

Thats what I got, and its worthless placement anyway.
I don't know that I'd say "worthless", Bill. True, that you can get a truer reading with the probe and a potato trick. But I've found that my door gauges are not far off from the mark. I use them more as a "quick read" for temperature spikes. Plus, when I've got 4 to 6 pieces of meat in the 'Dera, I don't need another probe to worry about. That's why I hang the oven gauges and adjust accordingly when I open the chamber to spray or mop.

G$'s right, there's more than one way - and that's waht this Forum's all about.........sharing ideas.

I don't know that I'd say "worthless", Bill. True, that you can get a truer reading with the probe and a potato trick. But I've found that my door gauges are not far off from the mark.

If you got the NB brand, you're one lucky dog. I've had two that read from 20-35 degrees off - sometimes higher, sometimes lower. They do what they want to do. Lucky for my move, it's now more reliable than ever. Completely farking busted - least it's a consistent reading now - zero.

Hell, I never even bothered with placing a thermo in that hole. I just used the little silver plug and made sure to run a bead of high heat silicon (the same kind I used for the door gasket) to seal it on up.

What I normally do is to dangle my probe down through the exhaust, making sure to wrap the extra wire around the exhaust tip once so it does not slip. Depending on how much meat I am cooking and what kind determines where I place my probe. If doing only ribs, pork butt or brisket then I make sure the meat is farther away from the bottom and firebox side with the probe dangling dead center of the cooker. If cooking chicken or turkey I tend to have those toward the bottom of the cooking chamber and closer to the firebox. At that point my probe would be hanging a little lower then usual.

Hehe -- he said "my probe"! =)

Arlin_MacRae said:
Wait a minute, G$ - that doesn't mean G-money, does it? It means G-STRING! HEHEHE

<gets some more coffee>

Only a geek would get that.

Wait a minute...I got it...

Welcome G-Money! Tell Pookie I said wassup!

tommykendall said:
I don't know that I'd say "worthless", Bill. True, that you can get a truer reading with the probe and a potato trick. But I've found that my door gauges are not far off from the mark.

If you got the NB brand, you're one lucky dog. I've had two that read from 20-35 degrees off - sometimes higher, sometimes lower. They do what they want to do. Lucky for my move, it's now more reliable than ever. Completely farking busted - least it's a consistent reading now - zero.
What I normally do is to dangle my probe down through the exhaust, making sure to wrap the extra wire around the exhaust tip once so it does not slip. Depending on how much meat I am cooking and what kind determines where I place my probe. If doing only ribs, pork butt or brisket then I make sure the meat is farther away from the bottom and firebox side with the probe dangling dead center of the cooker. If cooking chicken or turkey I tend to have those toward the bottom of the cooking chamber and closer to the firebox. At that point my probe would be hanging a little lower then usual.

Bill, I do have the NB - and they both passed the 212* water test (+ or - 5*) How long that'll last.......who knows? Don't know if David Klose's gauges are any better or not, maybe someone who has one can comment.

Belly, I know that's how KC like to do his (he dangles his probe, too - hee, hee!) Where do you rest your thermo or transmitter? The cable on mine doesn't seem long enough to be able to rest it on a table or something nearby. (No Way, was I gonna say my probes not long enough! LMAO!)

My Polder and Nu Temp have magnets so I just stick it right ot the side of the cooking chamber, all the way up top and on the opposite side of the firebox.

I make sure my probe is not touching anything: no meat, no grates, no side walls so I get an accurate reading.

BigBelly said:
My Polder and Nu Temp have magnets so I just stick it right ot the side of the cooking chamber, all the way up top and on the opposite side of the firebox.
Really? The Chamber's not too hot for the plastic case? Figured it might damage the back of it.

I have a piece of pressure treated 4 x 4 left over from a yard job that I set on top in front of the flue and i stand the thermo's on it.

I was just going to say the exact same thing, almost. Just set your thermo on top of a chunk o wood on top of the cooking chamber.

I never cook over 230 so the cooking chambers surface never gets that hot.

OK, that seems more feasible. Even at 230*, I would think it would eventually damage the electronics or the case. Is it more accurate than the cheapo oven thermo's? I see alot of variance in the ones I get from Wally World. I actually found a "Mercury" oven thermo in stainless at the LNT clearance table - need to test it first, though.

jeffsasmokin said:
tommykendall said:

Bill, I do have the NB - and they both passed the 212* water test (+ or - 5*) How long that'll last.......who knows? Don't know if David Klose's gauges are any better or not, maybe someone who has one can comment.

Belly, I know that's how KC like to do his (he dangles his probe, too - hee, hee!) Where do you rest your thermo or transmitter? The cable on mine doesn't seem long enough to be able to rest it on a table or something nearby. (No Way, was I gonna say my probes not long enough! LMAO!)

Guys, you need to PM Spice and get one of his door thermometers. It is calabratable, and works wonderful. I got tired of my NB door thermometer reading 50* to 75* off. I stopped by the shop, picked up one of Jay's themometers, calibrated it, build a fire and checked it at shelf level even with the thermometer. It was within 2*

I'm thinking of drilling another hole further down the door, closer to the waterpan, and installing another one.

BTW, this is an unpaid advertisement, but it truly is a good thermometer.

Guys, you need to PM Spice and get one of his door thermometers. It is calabratable, and works wonderful. I got tired of my NB door thermometer reading 50* to 75* off. I stopped by the shop, picked up one of Jay's themometers, calibrated it, build a fire and checked it at shelf level even with the thermometer. It was within 2*

I'm thinking of drilling another hole further down the door, closer to the waterpan, and installing another one.

Alright, Kick! Thanx! I'm talking with Jay right now - never knew about those! I did exactly what you're wanting to do, with my NB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back