• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The learning curve... with pron.

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
After a 3 days of rain... time to get back to basics... using a stickburner.

First off, had to pay a little attention to the level of the pit... hence the jackstands under the vertical chamber on the left side (out of view).
The pit is level... the camera wasn't... blame that on the idiot behind the camera... me

img1321547906124.jpg

Ever heard about the bisquist test? Its just a trial run with simple canister biscuits to visually see where are the hot/cold spots inside the smoker. That's a good thing... so you have a gameplan where to place your meats... if a hot or cooler areas are needed... just a strategy.

Before:

img1321547906433-1.jpg

After:

img1321547906665.jpg

img1321547906954.jpg

Notice the upper area and the right side is hotter? Great spots for chicken, steaks, brisket, and pizza!

Now that have the smoker's temp mapped, time for some fatties.

A fatty is one of those 1 pound sausage chub/logs by Jimmy Dean/Bob Evans type. Bought (2) Bob Evens - Hot and (2) Jimmy Dean - Regular.

Will do a pair with rub, and without (known as a 'naked' fatty)
1 Hot and 1 regular with rub (Oakridge BBQ Secret weapon for pork and chicken) and a pair hot and regular naked.

Saved a spot for a roaster - with Oakridge BBQ Game bird and chicken rub.

img1321547907224.jpg

Hope there's time for pics later... will be a feeding fest this afternoon. :shock:

Last edited:
Nice, that looks like a good biscuit run, no surprises there.

Nice work and of course fantastic choice of rub! You won't be disappointed in any way!

Love that cooker man! Glad to see it in action so soon after acquisition.

Biscuits that have been in a smoker don't taste so good. Don't ask me how I know this.

Looks about the same as my BYC - the therm is pretty much in the cooler part of the cooker. When you go all the way to the right, the temp can be 50-75 degrees hotter.

I like to use the temp differences to my advantage - like the way you have the poultry in the hotter part. :thumb:

That vertical chamber is great for warming, cooking sausages, smoking bacon, etc.

You're gonna love that cooker - it's a party machine :clap2:

(smacks head against wall). Never thought about using biscuits to find the hot/cold areas. You learn something new everyday. Thanks

Nice post, Bandit! Can't wait for finished pics of the pron.

i still havent done the biscuit test in my cooker yet, but after cooking a bunch of cooks i know mine would look very similar. im suprised that the biscuits more to the right werent more burnt then they are.

i might invest in a heat diffuser plate from horizon to throw into my smoker to try and level it out just a bit

After a 3 days of rain... time to get back to basics... using a stickburner.

First off, had to pay a little attention to the level of the pit... hence the jackstands under the vertical chamber on the left side (out of view).
The pit is level... the camera wasn't... blame that on the idiot behind the camera... me

img1321547906124.jpg

Ever heard about the bisquist test? Its just a trial run with simple canister biscuits to visually see where are the hot/cold spots inside the smoker. That's a good thing... so you have a gameplan where to place your meats... if a hot or cooler areas are needed... just a strategy.

Before:

img1321547906433-1.jpg

After:

img1321547906665.jpg

img1321547906954.jpg

Notice the upper area and the right side is hotter? Great spots for chicken, steaks, brisket, and pizza!

Now that have the smoker's temp mapped, time for some fatties.

A fatty is one of those 1 pound sausage chub/logs by Jimmy Dean/Bob Evans type. Bought (2) Bob Evens - Hot and (2) Jimmy Dean - Regular.

Will do a pair with rub, and without (known as a 'naked' fatty)
1 Hot and 1 regular with rub (Oakridge BBQ Secret weapon for pork and chicken) and a pair hot and regular naked.

Saved a spot for a roaster - with Oakridge BBQ Game bird and chicken rub.

img1321547907224.jpg

Hope there's time for pics later... will be a feeding fest this afternoon. :shock:

Dang, Bob! I'll be right up! That looks great! You have the most simply creative ideas! You should be teaching classes!! :becky:

Dang, Bob! I'll be right up! That looks great! You have the most simply creative ideas! You should be teaching classes!! :becky:

great strategy.

(smacks head against wall). Never thought about using biscuits to find the hot/cold areas. You learn something new everyday. Thanks

The true thanx is right here... within the collective knowledge of the Brethren.
I am only a student of the Brethren... only reflected what was freely shared with me within this forum.

Trust me.. what you see is the results of tips, tricks, suggestions, techniques, rubs, sauces, and good old-fashioned ornery camaraderie from the BBQ Brethren. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Fresh off the pit...
img1321557786774.jpg

IMAG0386.jpg

Same bird.... after 15 minutes rest. Note the amount of juices on the platter.
IMAG0387.jpg

img1321557786987.jpg

img1321557787777.jpg

IMAG0384.jpg

I'm full!

Wow, very nice work. I would have never thought to do that.

Back