•Simple Garlic & Rosemary Rustic Leg of Lamb. (pic heavy)

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brethren! I've been asked to do a Leg of Lamb for a dinner tomorrow so I thought I'd share how I do lamb with you guys.

Whenever I think of lamb I think of these 5 ingredients:
Rosemary,
garlic,
EVOO,
salt
chilli pepper (here I've used a scotch bonnet)
These 5 ingredients are ALL you need for lamb, no matter the cut.

I decided to take it a bit further tonight and threw in a bit of fresh mint and some of my beef rub with added chipotle seasoning to give the lamb a bit more depth.

I diced up the garlic, rosemary, mint and the scotchie and threw it all in the mortar & pestle along with the oil & dry ingredients and ground everything together and let it sit to make the flavors all get friendly. :thumb:

I took the whole Australian leg of lamb, rinsed it off and took my boning knife and pierced it all over to allow the marinade to penetrate, then rubbed it down thoroughly with the garlic/rosemary paste 'til it was covered good and proper. It was then wrapped in plastic wrap and vacu-packed to sit overnight to be cooked tomorrow.

So thats how I do lamb & I feel this is how lamb was meant to be done!!! 5 simple ingredients and you have lamb as good as it gets! Dont get me wrong, there are many ways to do lamb. But when you talk about simplicity vs taste, I find this recipe hard to beat! Now on to the pics

PREP PICS:

Garlic, rosemary, mint, scotch bonnet, good olive oil & chipotle beef rub:
2c807e6a.jpg

eb252c5a.jpg

6e1bdb33.jpg

fd7b7dd0.jpg

03b43a9d.jpg

Leg of lamb:
4b562de7.jpg

a78844ce.jpg

4af8a011.jpg

All rubbed up:
d78cf655.jpg

394c105f.jpg

Plastic wrapped, vacu-packed and ready for the fridge:
8f31d41c.jpg

Ill post the cooking process tomorrow when that goes down. Stay tuned.

Cheers!

Looks great. I wish I knew more people that liked lamb. I would cook it more often.

:hungry:
Ready and Waiting.

Phrasty, THAT leg of Lamb is really, serious "to die for" export quality dude.

I cannot wait to see this!

:thumb: Thanks Bill! For sure... this really is great stuff!

Cheers

Looks good, but curious as to why you left the silver skin on? Is that what makes it rustic?

Don't get me wrong, because I'm learning to love Lamb, and we just cooked about 40 Lamb ribs or as they are called here the "Denver Plate" cuts. And we cooked them low and slow, hot and fast, rotissed, trimmed of the fat layer, untrimmed and any way inbetween and the sliver skin is the death knell for me.

Looking forward to the cook process, slicing and plating!

Looking good, Phrasty! I wish I could walk over and get a bite of the finished product. I can't imagine what the scotch bonnet is going to do for that leg. YUM.

Arlin

Lamb Cooking post

Hey Everyone, So I finished up the lamb today and it got rave reviews. :icon_blush::thumb:. It was requested I do the lamb to medium doneness. Temps were at 153˚ in the thickest section when I took it off the fire to get a small section a tad under medium which I think it perfect. I smoked it with some almond for the first hour to not overwhelm the lamb flavor with too much smoke (I do not recommend smoking lamb heavily, although that could be a personal preference). All in all the leg cooked indirect for about 3.5 hours at 275-300. Took it over to the venue sliced it up and plated it. I was fighting the urge to clean up and "dispose" of the bones for them. :twisted:. I resisted!:shock::shocked::crazy: lol OK on to the lamb pics:

Lamb just on the smoker:
249225e2.jpg

f0327826.jpg

45 mins in:
db56558d.jpg

2 hours in:
f9191146.jpg

Off the smoker:
8b020b96.jpg

All carved up & plated:
f2624a32.jpg

8dd09a2e.jpg

:becky:
c50e4bf9.jpg

I also smoked 2 sides of salmon along with the lamb. They were seasoned with my salmon rub, which is:

kosher salt
brown sugar
my pork rub (Which I'm calling "Hog Dirt")
lemon pepper
and a very little curing salt (like 1/4 of what you would normally use).

They sat for about 12 hours in the fridge then I washed them off, patted them dry, sprinkled on some coarse red and black peppercorns and stuck them back in the fridge to dry the surface. I put them on the smoker @ 255 & smoked them with lychee until the temp reached 135. I'm sorry I didn't get any pics of this plated up but I just broke it up into nice big chunks and served with a home-made mustard-dill sauce! It was out of this world good!
AAAAAND on to the pics:

Fresh:
6673092f.jpg

7329df9e.jpg

Seasoned up:
4f61d6a2.jpg

d2929607.jpg

Vacu-packed and headed for the fridge:
59f22973.jpg

Rinsed off, dried and coated with cracked pepper:
b5fe0ef3.jpg

afb2a342.jpg

All done and coming off
d75dd474.jpg

It was all amazing! The host and party was very pleased to say the least. So there it is, That's how I do lamb & if any of you want a easy way to nail lamb... I urge you to try this...:thumb::becky:

Thanks for looking!

Cheers

Now that is righteous!! That lamb looks perfect and salmon with mustard -dill sauce:thumb::-D, YO!

Looks good, but curious as to why you left the silver skin on? Is that what makes it rustic?

Don't get me wrong, because I'm learning to love Lamb, and we just cooked about 40 Lamb ribs or as they are called here the "Denver Plate" cuts. And we cooked them low and slow, hot and fast, rotissed, trimmed of the fat layer, untrimmed and any way inbetween and the sliver skin is the death knell for me.

Looking forward to the cook process, slicing and plating!

Thanks Swamprb, I dont really have a problem with the silver skin, especially if you're using quality lamb it's a far cry from the silver skin you get on Beef. Beef silver skin is really the only one I'd go out of my way to trim (I guess along with venison and other big game). I also cook lamb on the hot side at about 300 and with this leg for example I find I get a nice snap to the outside of the roast (silver-skin) It's not a real bother to me.

If you removed all of the silver skin from that leg.... you would be old when you were done.

^^^^ That too!

Looking good, Phrasty! I wish I could walk over and get a bite of the finished product. I can't imagine what the scotch bonnet is going to do for that leg. YUM.

Arlin

Thanks Arlin, The scotchie gave it great flavor. A sweeter heat that I find more aromatic than most other chilies. Great stuff.

Cheers.

Back