Fatty Kolache, Version 2.0

I put together a couple dozen kolaches for my Sunday School class this morning. I smoked the Kolaches and Moink Balls last night. A quick recap:

Fatty Prep:

DSC_0054-1.jpg

Green Chili & Cheese Fatty looking good:

DSC_0075.jpg

Made a sour cream dough and rolled it with course chopped Sausage, Rotel, Green Chili and Cheddar Fatty + some additional shredded cheddar. Made another version with Chopped Moink Ball and another with Sausage, Cheese and Green Chili only (no tomato). The chopped moink ball was solid!

DSC_0098.jpg

Baked them in the WSM

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

And my throwdown entry picture.

DSC_0105.jpg

Please click this link for the full cook thread.

Enjoy!

Fantastic! I love, love, love Kolache! I just haven't found the right dough yet.

G'Day Bruces... I honestly had no idea what to do for this one, so I thought I'd just go for tradition and make Aussie Damper, as traditionally as I could... so here goes.... a little bit of a history lesson too....

An Australian Cowboy, is called "Stockman," or a "Jackaroo". Their job was to muster cattle on farms, or indeed to go Droving, a term for taking cattle from one distant place to another... or indeed, A Drover himself had a heard but no land so would live a nomadic life across the outback. The food they had was very basic, and this included Damper.

Damper was often eaten with jerky and to be truthful, it's not a lot different than what you call "biscuits", which are an American Cowboy thing. What you call "cookies", we call "biscuits" ... but I digress.

Damper was thought to be given the name because its cooked in the damped ashes of an open fire, so that's what I did as best I could...

Firstly, made the damper dough... mixer was already out soo... WTH, bugger tradition...
DSC_0027_1313.jpg

I cleaned out my ol weber copy which has been nothing but a stand for my charcoal chimney for the last 2 years! I lit a pretty big fire with some charcoal to start, and then some old rotten Acacia wood I had collected... being exactly the type of firewood you'd find out in the scrub, if you were a Jackaroo...
DSC_0031_1317.jpg

I put the damper on a CI pan. I actually don't have a CI camp pot... I better get one!
DSC_0030_1316.jpg

I let the coals burn right down...
DSC_0032_1318.jpg

And the pan on top
DSC_0033_1319.jpg

DSC_0034_1320.jpg

As expected, it started to burn a bit on the bottom, but this is what it's supposed to do!
DSC_0036_1322.jpg

So moved the coals to the side and put the lid on the kettle to finish off. By the time it was done, there was not many coals left...
DSC_0040_1325.jpg

Then inside, Plated with the Jerky... now fella's I'm very excited about this latest batch of jerky... I never took any photo's of the prep, because I wanted to refine things a bit before I let the cat out of the bag... but with this batch, I know now I have it right... this is Jerky from heaven!
DSC_0049_1328.jpg

Then we broke the bread... (TD Photo.... Stockmans Lunch)
DSC_0057_1331.jpg

It was about here I just got a little tingle...You know when you realise that this is SOMETHING SPECIAL.... When we cut the bread, the whole family just went .... Ooooooh. Right up till then, I didn't even think I was gonna eat the damper... to me it was just a history lesson, till that point. Now I realise why it's a tradition... because it's absolutlety beautiful...
DSC_0064_1334.jpg

So, we fanged the lot!
DSC_0065_1335.jpg

Goes well with Scotch....
DSC_0073_1338.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

Bill

Well,well, well.......imagine my surprise to see the dinner I cooked on the computer:shocked:. "Just taking some pictures to try out the new camera" he says....
I suppose I should give you a little credit ... you did help wash the dishes.

Dang, yall remind me of us!:becky:

:shock:
DSC_0073_1338.jpg

Dang Bill, I don't know who looks more insane...you or my hubby!

Well... Here is my entry into this throwdown. It didn't come out exactly as I had hoped, but they were still pretty good.

The gory details are here...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94795

Bacon and Cheese Biscuit...

P2070427.JPG

I ate one with a couple of slices of fatty, some CoJack cheese and some raspberry-jalapeno jelly...

P2070430.JPG

Please use this picture ^^^^ for the throwdown entry

P2070432.JPG

Dang. I must say, all of the entries look amazing... but I find myself more than anything craving a calzone right now :D

Back