• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I kinda screwed up my UDS build... Need a solution

sigpi906

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
It's not the end of the world, but I was new to using a step-bit when drilling the holes for the air intake. As such, the 1/2" nipples do screw in... kinda. But the conduit lock nuts dont hold them on.

So, is there some sort of epoxy or something that I can use to help stabilize the nipples? I don't have access to a welder, and I can use the UDS as it is... but I want it to be "right" and I'm not sure what my options are for getting the nipples to stick.

Side note: I've never typed out the word nipple so many times in my life. :clap2:

just put a lock nut on both sides. it dose not need to screw fit the hole.

You're screwing the "conduit lock nuts" on the same end of the 1/2" pipe and not from each end, right?

And what Randbo said ^^^

screw one locknut onto the nipple. insert the nipple into the side of the drum and put the next lock nut on the inside of the drum. The drum is sandwiched between the two locknuts.

screw one locknut onto the nipple. insert the nipple into the side of the drum and put the next lock nut on the inside of the drum. The drum is sandwiched between the two locknuts.

Yeah, Randbo this is what I've done. Unfortunately it's still got quite a bit of wiggle to it... I mean it's really not "locked in". It's to the point where if I try to spin the nipple cap off, the nipple just spins with it.... and then it backs itself out of the hole.

Maybe JBweld is the next option. I'm clearly not cut out to understand the concept of how lock nuts work.

Just increase the intake size! 1/2" is too small unless you add 8. 3/4 minimum 1" even better then you only need 3 or 2 respectively

Whatever you do, don't use magnets! Heat lessens a magnets power. If they fall off during a cook..... disaster.
Don't ask me how I know.

Go bigger like Bludawg said. My first UDS's all used 3/4" nipples. My last one had 1" nipples because I go hot and fast once in a while.

Did you use close nipples? Had the same problem cause I bought the wrong ones... But I would go to 3/4in with a 1in hole...

Back