Cheese-smoking time

RW

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We're getting cool enough mornings for me to start cold-smoking some cheese.
Anyone have any out-of-the-park cheese-smoke combinations they would love to share?
Thanks

Blue cheese, apple wood. Use it to stuff olives for your martinis (or anything else you might use blue cheese in), delicious. Needs to be a really cold smoke or the oil will separate from the cheese.

Nothing out of the park, I use mainly apple or sometimes cherry in my cold smoker. You don't want an over-powering smoke, but rather a compliment of smoke.

I also put pieces of apple into the cold smoker to try and add more flavor. Does it work? I don't know, but as long as I think it does, that is all that matters to me.

Look at the color change of the cheese. Usually about 15min if it's cold smoke.

cold1.jpg

The weather gurus were predicting a nice cool low temperature for this morning, so I was ready to cold smoke a variety of cheese, using my mini-WSM and the A-maze-n pellet smoker.

cold3.jpg

I lit up the A-maze-n maze that I had loaded with cherry wood pellets.

cold2.jpg

Loaded the cheese, clamped on the lid and the smoke roll.

cold4.jpg

After about 30 minutes, I took off one piece of each type of cheese and let the remaining three pieces stay in the smoke for another 30 minutes. The temperature inside the mini never reached 75 degrees.

cold5.jpg

My cheeses this time were gouda, extra sharp cheddar and big eye Swiss. In hindsight, I should have removed the rind on the gouda before putting it in the mini.
But that gives me an excuse to do it again.
cold6.jpg

I vacuum sealed each hunk and into the refrigerator they went.
It's going to be a long week's wait before the sampling can being.

Did these on Saturday. Pepper jack, sharp cheddar, and horseradish cheddar. I smoke them a little longer....like 1.5hrs total. With a decent rest they come out nice and smoky. Now my buddies are cruising by asking if the cheese is done yet....bunch of vultures....:biggrin1:

Last edited:
I've only done hickory so far but I just ordered a bag of pitmaster special blend from Amaze'N today. Cheddar & pepper jack are great but my absolute favorite is aged provolone. Put that on a steak sandwich and it will blow your farkin mind!

Nice, we are in for cooler weather at the end of the week, so I may just smoke some cheddar and provo in my unit NSUDS (Not so ugly drum smoker AKA WBS) for the first time.

So consensus seems to be after 30-60 mins then vac seal it, and let it refridge for a week or more?

IMHO if you've got grill marks it's way over done. Too much smoke too much heat.

@MS2SB, I plan to use A-Maze-N products pitmaster blend pellets for my next cheese cold smoke.

IMHO if you've got grill marks it's way over done. Too much smoke too much heat.

Funny you mention that. I took that piece over to a buddy's house last night. He and his family liked it so much he wants to start smoking cheese. To each his own I guess.....

Back