Need Pastrami Rub Recipe and pointers

JohnMcD348

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
OK Folks. My parents bought me a meat slicer for my birthday so to give it a good workout, I wanted to make a Pastrami. I bought a Corned Beef flat the other day but I cannot find a good Patrami Rub for it. Also, how would you guys recommend me marinating it since it's in the loose packaging and the "corning" seasonings are in a seperate package. Any other recommendations on smoking woods and such would be appreciated. I looked up in the recipe section and didn't find anything.

I figured I'd throw it in the smoker when I'm doing my Big Picnic for the weekend.

Thanks All

I used onion powder, granulated garlic (NOT SALT!!!) and coarse black pepper, and it came out great!!!!

Don't need the "Packet"

Soak for at least a few hours in water to remove some of the excess salt in meat before adding rub.

Here is a snippet from my cookin' site. The first recipe I use, and the second one is one Bobberqer's (posted by permission) They both use store-bought corned brisket. Several of the folks on another forum helped me fine tune this pastrami recipe and technique using a store-bought corned beef brisket flat. The most recent change in mine has been an increase in the length of my soaking times. I started off with an 8 or 10 hour soak and after trying Bobberqer's long soak times, I found that I liked the long soak times better.

~thirdeye~

RUB:
4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper (more if you like it peppery)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons Canadian/Montreal Steak seasoning
1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
1 teaspoon paprika
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

COOKING METHOD
Discard the little package of seasoning and drain the juice from the package and rinse. Soak brisket(s) in cool water in a plastic container or zipper top bag, in the fridge, no less than overnight or up to 48 hours, changing water at least two or three times as this helps to extract some of the injected brining solution. Dry the brisket, lightly score the fat side with a knife to mark the grain direction, apply about ½ of the rub to all sides. Set overnight in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic.

On cooking day, bring brisket to room temperature, season all sides with the remaining rub. Cook with an indirect set up using barcecue temps of 220° to 250° (grate temperature) until the internal temperature is 165° to 170°. Use a gentle amount of smoke, pecan is my favorite. Loosely wrap in foil then overwrap with newspaper and place in a preheated cooler and rest for 1 hour. Slice thin, against the grain. Serve warm, with mustard, rye bread and pickles.

Here is a Guest Pit Boss technique that comes from Bobberqer. It also uses store-bought corned briskets:

Pre-soak the brisket(s) for 48 hours in cool water (iced to maintain the temperature below 40°, or kept in the refrigerator in a bucket or zipper bag). Add some roughly cubed, raw potatoes to the water, (appox 2 pounds) to help soak up some of the salts that are drawn out of the brisket. Change the water, and potatoes, every 12 hours. Some of the water from the last soak may be saved and used for boiling cabbage.

At the end of the soaking time discard the potatoes, remove the brisket, and let dry. Then apply the following rub, reserving some for another coating before slicing. Wrap brisket in plastic, then refrigerate overnight.

RUB:
4 parts ground peppercorns
4 parts ground coriander seeds
2 parts Turbinado sugar
2 parts ground Juniper berries
1 part ground onion powder
1 part thyme, ground
1 part paprika
1 part ground garlic powder
1 part ground ginger
1/2 part ground cloves
1/2 part ground nutmeg

On cooking day bring brisket to room temperature, then cook with an indirect set up at 275° (grate temperature) until the internal temperature is 180°. Allow about 1 hour per pound for cooking.

During the last 1/2 hour of the cook, glaze the brisket with one of these two concoctions, then rest about 1/2 hour, re-apply rub liberally, then slice against the grain and serve. This is Heaven.

Glaze # 1
1 cup honey
1 cup maple syrup
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar

Heat liquids gently, over low heat, until warm to touch. Then add cinnamon, and slowly mix in confectioner’s sugar until thoroughly mixed. Take off heat, set aside until needed, Use to glaze meat while on cooker. Reserve some glaze to serve on the side at the table.

Glaze # 2
1-16 oz package fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar, (Turbinado sugar is a nice touch)
1 jar, approximately, 10 oz. of Red Currant Jam
1- 8 oz container of Honey Mustard

Put cranberries in a 3-4 Qt pot on low, and add sugar... stir occasionally, cook until cranberries start to "pop". Add Red Currant Jam, and Honey Mustard and let simmer for approximately 10 minutes, stirring a few times during the process. Take off heat, set aside until needed use to glaze meat while on cooker. Reserve some glaze to serve on the side at the table.

Cooks Notes:
I'm of an Irish, "off the boat” heritage, and have been tweaking this recipe since the mid 70's. Only in the last 4 years have I hit what I call "Corn Beef Nirvana".

Bobberqer

JohnMcD348 said:
OK Folks. My parents bought me a meat slicer for my birthday so to give it a good workout, I wanted to make a Pastrami. I bought a Corned Beef flat the other day but I cannot find a good Patrami Rub for it. Also, how would you guys recommend me marinating it since it's in the loose packaging and the "corning" seasonings are in a seperate package. Any other recommendations on smoking woods and such would be appreciated. I looked up in the recipe section and didn't find anything.

I figured I'd throw it in the smoker when I'm doing my Big Picnic for the weekend.

Thanks All

John we just did a post on this last couple of weeks back, I did a 10 Brisket and turned it in to pastrami. The process I used can be found here:http://www.randyq.addr.com/recipes/pastrami.htm Follow it exactly and I promise you will not be disappointed. I'm already making my fifth one as we speak and the requests keep coming in:-D

Thanks guys. I had just pulled up the thread that Joe started back in July and was reading it. Great Info there. Kapn mentioned in it that it may become a Roadmap. I highly recommend it.

Back