Please rate these turn in boxes

I like to glaze as well, we went a little heavy with the sauce on the chicken as there was a lot of spice in the rub, you needed some sweet to stand up to that. I'm going to be modifying some things and practicing my butt off for next season.

Thanks for all the tips guys, and stop apologizing for giving your opinion, I'm a big boy I can take it. I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want your honesty.

MM, I agree... too much sauce is the other extreme, and it's bitten us when our sauces were too thick.

Agree with the pork and the spritz. Maybe a slight bit of apple juice??

Bentley, interesting comment. I've wondered about the heavy sauce too. Does anyone think that the amount of sauce is a regional thing, or is it nationwide?

I was told by someone who regularly competes in Michigan and Wisconsin to sauce heavy or the judges there don't think it's BBQ. We did some and didn't on brisket. Ended up 10th out of 56 teams so who knows? But it's what I hear about the Great Lakes area. Likewise, I'm guessing you use vinegar based sauces in the southeast comps but that's a total guess on my part. Maybe someone else can chime in from down that way.

I found all entries visually appealing. Excellent job.

Chicken: I would bet the left piece, second row was the best representation of what Jeremiah's chicken really looked like. I attribute the dark color mainly to shadow. (Next time - turn the chicken around to face the sun.) These greens enhance the chicken without appearing deliberately showy. I especially like the lettuce splitting the two columns down the center. Just a tad too saucy. 8

Ribs: I dig this presentation. 9

Pork: Take out one of those "dark bark" pieces on the lower right-hand side. My eyes are drawn to them, makes me wonder if it will be dry. Otherwise, good mix. 7

Brisket: Can't tell what's going on towards the back after slice #6, from this angle. Looks yummy though. 8

I prefer to sample barbecue dry. In my mind, sauce should be judged separately. Still, I evaluate barbecue based on the choices the cook made, not my personal preference. To me, these boxes all looked good...how I wish I could have tasted them.

I found all entries visually appealing. Excellent job.

Chicken: I would bet the left piece, second row was the best representation of what Jeremiah's chicken really looked like. I attribute the dark color mainly to shadow. (Next time - turn the chicken around to face the sun.) These greens enhance the chicken without appearing deliberately showy. I especially like the lettuce splitting the two columns down the center. Just a tad too saucy. 8

Ribs: I dig this presentation. 9

Pork: Take out one of those "dark bark" pieces on the lower right-hand side. My eyes are drawn to them, makes me wonder if it will be dry. Otherwise, good mix. 7

Brisket: Can't tell what's going on towards the back after slice #6, from this angle. Looks yummy though. 8

I prefer to sample barbecue dry. In my mind, sauce should be judged separately. Still, I evaluate barbecue based on the choices the cook made, not my personal preference. To me, these boxes all looked good...how I wish I could have tasted them.

Hate to call you out, but garnish should not even be a consideration. Is this your first rodeo?:rolleyes: You know it is a meat contest.

The boxes as a whole represent what I feel is a common problem with building boxes when your just starting out, i.e. boxes too full. The chicken and the brisket boxes are the hardest to keep from getting too much in the box and that's what I see with your chic and brisket boxes - pork and ribs fit the box better and look PDG to me. As far as color on the meat and too much sauce I'd hate to speculate with the light on the pics but I agree that plenty of sauce is better than none or not enough as long as it has set up good and not running off. I think it's kinda silly to buy into the principal of "oh if your putting sauce on bbq you just can't cook good bbq is the problem" - good sauce taste GOOD and folks like it. I like both dry and sauced ribs, I prefer sauced chicken, don't much matter about brisket, and with pork I prefer sauced.

I personally do not pay much attention to the green stuff in the boxes except to make sure it is not the forbidden items. Have judged some that had no greenery, just a plain box with meat in it. Works fine for me.
The appearance score is about the meat's appearance, not the foo foo. Does it look like something I would want to eat? Or toss to the dog?

I personally do not pay much attention to the green stuff in the boxes except to make sure it is not the forbidden items. Have judged some that had no greenery, just a plain box with meat in it. Works fine for me.
The appearance score is about the meat's appearance, not the foo foo. Does it look like something I would want to eat? Or toss to the dog?
Has anybody ever done a turn in for KCBS and skipped the green's just for the hell of it??

Hate to call you out, but garnish should not even be a consideration. Is this your first rodeo?:rolleyes: You know it is a meat contest.

Howzabout ratcheting down the 'tude, Dude?

Jeremiah asked for "constructive criticism"...I'll stick by mine. I offered my opinions on the appearance of the boxes, as a whole. IMO, the garnish was done well, and I explained why. Does it look better than an entry submitted without garnish? That's not my job to decide. Each box is to be judged on its own merits.

Oh yeah, while I'm at it, I don't agree with your assessment of Jeremiah's boxes. But, so what? We don't have to agree, and I don't have to "call you out." Grow up.

Well I've now self-justified the value of taking the time to make nice garnish presentations. Ya never know who's going to judge your meat.

Chicken - 5: Too saucy and looks a little burnt (hard to tell from pic)
Ribs- 5: Doesn't make me want to grab them and eat
Pork-7: Like it
Brisket-6: Slices don't look even. Crowded.

Have you thought of using a glaze....

*Did not read any previous posts prior to this posting*

Have you thought of using a glaze....

Yes, and decided against it (for brisket anyway) because I couldn't get one together that I thought was worth it. I was pretty busy (still am) leading up to the competition and simply did not have time to work on it. I'm going for a beefy glaze on my brisket if I wind up using one.

I glazed pretty much everything else, I did spray the pork with apple juice which might have occurred after snapping the photo. I don't remember.

Yes, and decided against it (for brisket anyway) because I couldn't get one together that I thought was worth it. I was pretty busy (still am) leading up to the competition and simply did not have time to work on it. I'm going for a beefy glaze on my brisket if I wind up using one.

I glazed pretty much everything else, I did spray the pork with apple juice which might have occurred after snapping the photo. I don't remember.

Good call... if you don't like the taste, don't worry about appearance.... I would rather get better taste scores than appearance any day. We kind of split hairs here, especially since we can't taste the photos. The goal, though, is to up both scores, of course.

If you don't have a glaze you like, sugar water helps keep things looking wet, or diluted apple juice. That way you get your appearance a bit better while not much affecting the taste.

Just to be clear about glazing, I did glaze all turn ins except brisket, the brisket was plenty moist and scored well overall (came in 7th with it, 13th overall for all 4 entries).

I think I might have glazed the pork after taking the photo, hence the reason why it does not show.

Thanks again for all the comments, really helps with planning how I'm going to modify things for the future.

Back