• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Previously Frozen Comp Brisket?

Greendriver

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I searched and peep at about 4 pages of threads trying to find info on this subject and didn't find it, so lemme ask the pros. Does it work, and / or would you do it? It's a pain the arse to find brisket here and I was thinking if I did find some or found a place to order some I might have to buy a case or something. Also I got this situation right now where I got my two brisket for upcoming context in the fridge and now I have found me a better looking couple of Prime briskets and was thinking about freezing the first two. What say ye?

Greendriver said:
I searched and peep at about 4 pages of threads trying to find info on this subject and didn't find it, so lemme ask the pros. Does it work, and / or would you do it? It's a pain the arse to find brisket here and I was thinking if I did find some or found a place to order some I might have to buy a case or something. Also I got this situation right now where I got my two brisket for upcoming context in the fridge and now I have found me a better looking couple of Prime briskets and was thinking about freezing the first two. What say ye?

I use frozen brisket no problem.

We buy "quality" brisket when and where we can find it.
It is then wet aged in my beer frig for 30 to 50 days from the pack date.
Then, if we are not ready to use it up--we freeze it till needed.
I have 4 Prime briskets in the hard freezer now, and 3 more CABs in the aging frig awaiting their fate :lol:
And, 2 cheapass "Selects" in the frig to cook up this weekend for Chile and stuff.

We have never, ever, noticed a difference (good or bad) from the freezing.

Lots of opinions out there.

FWIW

TIM

Greendriver said:

I see no problems freezing briskets, expecially if they are in the cryo. Probably wouldn't leave them for more than 6 months and use for comp. When thawing, some say that a longer thaw in the fridge is best. The idea is that it is more of an even and gradual thaw. Less likely to release juices during the thaw.

Example of this is thawing a skinless chicken breast on the counter versus in the fridge. The counter thaw usually has the chicken swimming in a pool of water/juice by the time it is thawed. Less likely in the fridge. Probably not as much of a concern for a dense cut of beef like brisket, but a general practice that I try to follow when I can.

I recently got a pork suppier and have to get it buy the case. I have frozen slabs and butts. I haven't noticed a difference.

Cryo makes the big difference!! If it's not than you need to buy a good Vac sealer to make it right. Freezer burn is not far behind a store wrapped cut!! As noted before ageing for 30 to 50 days--- this is in a cryovac. And it is only safe and successful if the Cryoseal is intact. When you buy a food sealer, you are essentually Cryovacing your meat ( with the exception of flash freezing it .) No meat should be aged for 30 to 50 days in it's raw state unless it is in an air tight environment.

Spice

I have done many frozen briskets in the past. I never noticed any difference in taste or texture

I see no problems freezing briskets, expecially if they are in the cryo. Probably wouldn't leave them for more than 6 months and use for comp. When thawing, some say that a longer thaw in the fridge is best. The idea is that it is more of an even and gradual thaw. Less likely to release juices during the thaw.

Example of this is thawing a skinless chicken breast on the counter versus in the fridge. The counter thaw usually has the chicken swimming in a pool of water/juice by the time it is thawed. Less likely in the fridge. Probably not as much of a concern for a dense cut of beef like brisket, but a general practice that I try to follow when I can.

Makes a lot of sense, Thanks:-D

Great thread! I assumed you would all have a tizzy about using frozen meat for a comp. I've got a lot to learn! Thanks again.

Just remember, 4 years is too long to freeze a brisket. Take it from someone who knows.

I know we have to freeze briskets for practical reasons and we have good results with them.

But I can't help thinking that if I had two equal quality/grade briskets and one was frozen and one was fresh, that I would pick the fresh one every time. I also can't help thinking that most, if not all, cooks would too.

I use frozen meats most of the time and I use these guidelines for a storage reference:

Frozen ground meat should be used within 3 months. Pork has a short holding time of 6 to 8 months. Beef, lamb, veal and venison last 8 to 12 months. Poultry and other birds last about 12 months.

We freeze briskets and they work just fine. Make sure you give them plenty of time to thaw out before contest.

Great thread! We have never had the Moinks to try frozen! But, we've never won with fresh, so what the hell!

Back