BBQ & Bear Safety

BenBarrBQue

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking about doing an overnight cook while in bear country later this summer. I was thinking I might need to leave the pit for a nap for an hour at a time, but I'm worried about bears while I'm gone. I know they're attracted to smells of meat, especially. (At least, I think they are.)

Does anyone have any experience with this and have some advice?

Thanks in advance, Everyone.

Leave them a note saying you will share when it's done. :p

Honestly no idea but sounds like a dinner invitation to the bears to me.

Problem solved
null_zps4839bf04.jpg

460 Smith and Wesson Magnum should do the trick at the bargain price approx. $1,500.00 +tax.

170262_01_md.jpg

For Grizzly bear this would lend a decent hand. M72A2 LAW anti-Grizzly Rocket. It's BONIFIED .
800px-66_kertasinko_75.JPG

We bear hunt Canada, in the middle of no where, and wouldn't recommend it. What I do, since I'm the chef for the 3 of us, is do some pulled pork (but you could do ribs or brisket) and vacuum seal it in serving sizes for meals, the freeze it. It will keep with dry ice in a cooler for 6-7 days. When it's time to eat, toss it in a bag of boiling water or nearly boiling water and 30 minutes later it's chow time.

Option 2 - bear spray backed up with 12 ga & 00 buck

We bear hunt Canada, in the middle of no where, and wouldn't recommend it. What I do, since I'm the chef for the 3 of us, is do some pulled pork (but you could do ribs or brisket) and vacuum seal it in serving sizes for meals, the freeze it. It will keep with dry ice in a cooler for 6-7 days. When it's time to eat, toss it in a bag of boiling water or nearly boiling water and 30 minutes later it's chow time.

Option 2 - bear spray backed up with 12 ga & 00 buck

Less colorful than some of the suggestions, and less dinner time ambiance than the original idea, but this sounds like a plan.

Been on a few remote fishing trips in bear country in BC. Fromthepit is right, vaccuum pack all food that has a strong scent in portion size packs.

Keep the camp clean and put all food into a seal tight or bear proof (ha ha) container. We had wood boxes that had good lids and latches. use strong scents to mask food or garbage. Burn as much as you can and if you can't - store it away from your camp.

Lastly make sure to where a bell so you don't surprise one. If you do, it will be eaiser to find you. I hear bear attacks are more rare than raccoon or dog. :twitch:

We had a griz in our trash last year. I had cooked chicken, and there was a nuisance bear 5 miles away that they were trying to trap. That bear was drawn to my bbq, and overnight, got into the trash to eat the bones and skin. Bears have incredibly keen smell. I wouldn't chance it.

The likelihood of a bear invading your BBQ pit are directly related to how the wild prey situation is. Like most wild animals, they prefer to avoid us humans and our turfs, if they have a plentiful supply of food in the wild. There are the few rogues, but for the most part, wild animals would prefer to avoid us, as much as possible.

That said, anything can happen. It is all about probabilities. If the bears, and other critters, can find food in the wild, they will probably not take any risks to get the food off of your HOT smoker.

Desperate animals, like desperate people, do things they wouldn't normally do.

CD

When backpacking in California (Sierras) we have to put all the food in a big bag and hoist it up with a rope onto the end of a branch in a tree. About 12 feet up. In parts of Yosemite that is the only way you won't get raided by the bears. I would never consider smoking anything in bear country unless I was leaving to sleep somewhere else.

We are planning a Yellowstone trip and this wasn't something that had even crossed my mind. Thanks for the post!

Back