• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoker build-slowly but surely

I can always add a torsion axel afterwards if it becomes an issue. We shall see.

Does anybody know who or where to get the best/most reliable temp gauge?

That's a pretty sweet thermometer. That'll be added to the shopping list!!!

I like what you got going so far besides the axle direct to the trailer. I am trying to get my materials together to start building my trailer pit as well. I have never seen the firebox like that. Where did you get details for that like what to use, kind of insulation, spacing, etc? I could really use that so I don't have to worry so much about a hot spot being near the firebox. Does it help hold heat better or does it keep you from buring some fool that wants to lean on it, lol.

The box design came from a fellow brethren (thatswhatshesaidbbq) and he got the design from a jambo pit design. So I did more looking and finally seen some goods pics if the jambo and off I went. I insulated for better heat control and also for safety during tailgate parties.

The insulation is fiber wool board. It came from a place in Springfield MO. Pretty cheap I thought so that's what I went with it has a 2000° melting point. It's 2" thick.

Yeah I have gotton crucified over the whole solid axel thing but I'll take care of that at a later date.
Thanks for looking and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Today I worked on the grate and the doors. I was hoping since I cut the doors with a plasma cutter that they would fit right back in place. NOPE!! 3 hrs later thet finally fit.

View attachment 66994

The grill grate on the right is removable incase cleaning is needed.

View attachment 66995

Last edited:
I can always add a torsion axel afterwards if it becomes an issue. We shall see.
I (Mechanical Engineer 40+ years) have to agree with CarlinaQ, HUGE oversight. I was actually shocked to see that pic. Had to go back and look again to make sure I had seen what I had seen. I strongly suggest you put springs on it before you go any further. The torsion bars will be little better with the loads you will have. You will probably have to add shock absorbers with them. OK, going quiet on this topic now.

It won't be any problem to cut the axel loose and add springs. The reason I'm not gonna use a torsion axel is I'm afraid the frame width won't match the hanger for the mounts for the axel. So springs are on order!!!

Is the axle pre-bowed (lining up the spring perches depends on the axle ark) also are you planning on cutting the axle down to fit the frame? The way she sits right now seems awfully wide for the frame.
These are just my thoughts.

The box design came from a fellow brethren (thatswhatshesaidbbq) and he got the design from a jambo pit design. So I did more looking and finally seen some goods pics if the jambo and off I went. I insulated for better heat control and also for safety during tailgate parties.

The insulation is fiber wool board. It came from a place in Springfield MO. Pretty cheap I thought so that's what I went with it has a 2000° melting point. It's 2" thick.

Yeah I have gotton crucified over the whole solid axel thing but I'll take care of that at a later date.
Thanks for looking and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Where in Springfield? That is in my general radius.

Thanks

The axel already had the perched welded on it. When I built the frame I just matched it up with the perches. The spring shackles will weld to the frame so the frame width is ok.

Little more work done. I built the box that the stack will bolt to via a flange. If I weld it direct I can't get it in the shop. now I just need to figure out how far down the front of the chamber to put it.

Back