• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The battle for steak SUPREMACY

JONESY

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
The wife and I can never decided what our favorite cut of steak is, so we decided to do a little side by side taste test. I choose four different cuts a filet, strip, ribeye, and delmonico, all steaks where choice grade and bought at a great local butcher.

The players
2.jpg

Ready for the grill
3.jpg

The dome up to temp
4.jpg

On the grill
5.jpg

After the flip
6.jpg

The Strip
7.jpg

The Ribeye
8.jpg

The Delmonico
9.jpg

The Filet
10.jpg

Served with roasted potatoes and asparagus
18.jpg

A nice Cesar salad
17.jpg

And washed down with a 2004 V. Sattui Moricoli Vineyard cab
16.jpg

This was a really fun cook and obviously great to eat. All steaks after being pulled from the grill where given a nice rest and sliced so we could sample them separately.

The winner, and to my surprise was the NEW YORK STRIP. It really held up well to the high heat sear, developed a nice crust, had great beef flavor and a nice texture like a steak should have.
11.jpg

That's my kind of science! :thumb:

CD

Great experiment and presentation! I would think it would be hard to decide between the NY strip and ribeye.

My wife and I were die hard ribeye fans until we recently discovered the same thing and made the switch to the New York Strip. I buy a whole slab of "prime" strips from Costco, cut them into steaks and vac pack them into two packs.

Nice looking dinner. I wish I could talk my wife into doing that sort of taste test ... every week. :becky: For the record, she prefers strip steaks and I prefer ribeyes, which means we almost always get strip steaks.

I love me a ribeye steak, too -- definitely my favorite. But, I love the NY Strip at Ruth's Chris steakhouse. I need to buy some prime strips to cook up at home.

CD

I don't see a loser in the bunch. But, like Caseydog, I love a strip from Ruth's Chris.

wow thats a contest I would wait in line to judge! I love the look of those stakes, great experiment.

excellent experiment. good eats for sure!

one note...a delmonico and a ribeye are the same thing. you just had 1 bone in and 1 boneless.

nice cook nonetheless. :thumb:

My wife loves fillets and I love ribeyes maybe this will be a good middle ground, thanks for the info.

one note...a delmonico and a ribeye are the same thing. you just had 1 bone in and 1 boneless.

That's interesting, the rib steak and Delmonico looked, cooked, and tasted very different. I'll have to go back to the butcher and ask where each steak was cut from. The rib steak didn't seem to do as well as the others with the high heat grilling, it really seemed to loose a lot of moisture.

Thanks for the info, I have more homework to do.

They all look great but ribeyes are the best for us ......

You guys ice fishing yet ??????????????? if not it won't be long....

look at the pics closely. you'll see they are the same cut.

the bone DOES make a difference in cooking, however.

A strip beats a ribeye? I guess it's true if you way overcook it.

I was shocked as well, every time I've had a ribeye its been great, but side by side with the strip, I enjoyed the strip more. I preferred the taste and texture of the strip over the ribeye, personal preference I guess.

Here's a pic of the ribeye sliced, I don't think I "way overcooked it".

13.jpg

Beef cut: Short Loin or Rib
Steak type: Strip Steak
(also known as: New York strip steak, Kansas City strip steak, strip loin, shell steak, strip steak, boneless loin, boneless club steak)

Delmonico steak (alternately steak Delmonico) refers to one of several cuts of beef prepared Delmonico style, made world-famous by Delmonico's Restaurant in New York City during the mid-19th century[1].

There is controversy as to exactly which cut of steak was originally used by Delmonico's Restaurant[2]. There are at least eight different cuts which are claimed to be the original for the Delmonico Steak. According to some sources, the original Delmonico steak was a boneless top sirloin, almost two inches thick with delicate marbling and cooked to the preference of the diner.

Delmonico's steak may now, in the 21st century, refer to other cuts, prepared differently in different parts of the USA. This wider variety of beef cuts may be broiled, fried, or grilled. Some of the steak cuts now commonly referred to as Delmonico steak include:

bone-in top loin steak
(a triangular-shaped, short loin cut, some suggesting the first cut of the top loin next to the rib end) also known as a club steak, country club steak, shell steak, and strip loin steak;
A boneless rib-eye steak
A Delmonico cut rib-eye consists of two heart cuts of ribeye tied together with butcher's twine. It resembles a filet mignon in appearance, but because of the more marbled nature of a ribeye, is moister. The modern rarity of the Delmonico cut of rib-eye may be due to fact that it renders the remaining pieces of ribeye unsaleable as anything but stewmeat, and the profit to be made from a pair of choice ribeyes is almost always more than that of a single Delmonico. A few sources describe the Delmonico cut of rib-eye differently as a bone-in cut.
A boneless top loin strip steak
(also known as a New York strip steak, Kansas City steak, strip loin, ambassador, boneless club, hotel or veiny steak)
In addition to the steak, the original meal also included a potato dish, known as Delmonico's potatoes, prepared by making a mashed potato dish topped with grated cheese and buttered breadcrumbs, then baked until golden brown and served steaming.

That looks like a fun experiment that I would like to try. But I would be wasting my time because a rib-eye (bone in or out) is still my favorite steak.

I'm partial to the New York Strip Steak. Quality over quantity for me. :thumb:

I sear mine 'Rare' for the juices, to 'Medium Rare', depending on the thicknesses of the steak.
I choose steaks with a little marbling of fat in the meat.

That all looks great to me! But I guess I'm an oddball. Neither of my two favorites were in the mix. I like Sirloin and Flank the best.

Yeah yeah I know I'm in the minority big time!

Back