Internal Rib Temp??

W

wishinfishin

What temp is "done" 165?, hotter? cooler?. Does anybody ever probe the meat in between the bones. What temp is too high? What temp are the ribs juiciest? Dry? Any input is better than none. Thanks in advance!!

I think ribs are done when they look and feel right as opposed to some certain internal temperature. I check for the flexibility of the rack, the force needed to separate individual ribs, rebound (springiness) to pressing on the meat and the amount of pull-back on the bone. I find that with the exception of pork butt, prime rib and chicken (this list is not ment to be all inclusive), temperature does not give a good indication of when ribs (or brisket for that matter) are done.

Last edited:
I agree with Richard... there's not enough meat to get a good temp without being close to bone... I go by look and feel.

I do not check rib temp, but there are people who do.
The temp I hear most is 200 degrees.

But, this is one of those things you can ask and get a thousand conflicting ideas.
What ya need to do is try it--stick a probe in there and see what happens.

They will be good eats no matter how you measure doneness, so make up your own mind :lol:

TIM

From the transcript of the "Pork Fiction" Episode of Good Eats:
The sensuous unctuousness that compels us to lick our fingers when rib eating comes from a power deep within the ribs themselves. Gelatin.

From the "Q" episode of Good Eats:
Why? Well, you have to remember, we're not just cooking this meat to doneness, okay, like you might a roast or a steak. We're cooking it to tenderness, and that is a very different thing, indeed. Let's say for a minute that these noodles are muscle strands inside our pork shoulder, and gelatin is the connective tissue that holds it together. Now if we just cook this to, say, 145 degrees the way you might a pork roast it would be done and edible technically. But see, this connective tissue would not have begun to dissolve. In other words, it would be tough. If, however, we were to slowly bring this whole mass up to 200 degrees and keep it there for a while, the collagen would dissolve.

At this stage of the game, the muscle fibers themselves are relatively dry because they're overcooked. But the eater isn't going to notice, because the strands are nicely lubricated with lip-smackin' gelatin. And since this process takes awhile, it's nice and smoky-tasting, too. How long are we talking about? Well, depending on the exact size and shape of your shoulder and the exact temperature inside your smoker, we're talking anywhere from 8 to 12 hours. Yeah, I said it was good eats, I didn't say it was fast eats.

Back