NEBS/Carolyn Wells KCBS meeting 3/26

secretive is not correct... waiting patiently is better.

As posted on the New England BBQ Yahoo group, we presented our concerns to Carolyn Wells. She will, in turn, present a synopsis of her visit to the KCBS BoD. That won't happen until their monthly meeting in May.

Nothing was actually resolved, so there aren't any results to report... it's a game of wait and see.

How about posting the questions that were discussed at the open meeting yesteday, (and lack of responses from Carolyn) that were presented by the NEBS board to her. its my understanding that she offered no anwsers with regard to the charges as presented. it is unfortunate that Ken and Kathie have to wait 2-3 more weeks just to see if this totally unfounded accusation is resolved or not. The handling of this situation needs to be ultra transparent to the members of both NEBS and KCBS unlike the way KCBS has handled it to date.

It was a BOD meeting for NEBS, so once the notes are typed up by the recording secretary, and approved by the board. They will be available for anyone who is a NEBS member.

I wasn't secretive, and was open to anyone who wished to attend. But as said before we presented our concerns to CW, and had a productive conversation, outlining how everyone has ended up in the current situation.

Hopefully with everything laid out on the table things will be resolved, and NEBS can continue to work with KCBS as we have for a long time.

These BBQ organizations are so secretive!!

I feel just the opposite about NEBS. I'm not on the NEBS BOD, but I've been to the last 7+ montly meetings. During that time, they have never had an "executive session" where they have asked me to leave or step into another room so they can meet in private. They always open up their meetings to regular ole dues paying NEBS members like me...as they did this past Sunday.

Your comment may have been in jest, but I think the word "organizations" should be singular rather than plural and be applied to a society in the middle of the country. :eek:

Jared

I feel just the opposite about NEBS. I'm not on the NEBS BOD, but I've been to the last 7+ montly meetings. During that time, they have never had an "executive session" where they have asked me to leave or step into another room so they can meet in private. They always open up their meetings to regular ole dues paying NEBS members like me...as they did this past Sunday.

Your comment may have been in jest, but I think the word "organizations" should be singular rather than plural and be applied to a society in the middle of the country. :eek:

Jared

Sorry, Jared. I think it was meant in jest as you suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to know what is going on but not being a member of NEBS, I get:

You are not authorised to view this resource.
You need to login.

I can't read it... could some one fill me in?

I do not know what the mystery is. There is a single issue. Either be sanctioned or licences, or in the alternative use your own rules. Not the I. P. of another organization. We have asked others to change rules as to not use the I.p. Pf KCbS, Without issue. Someone is trying to create an issue where there should not be one.
Merl

I would love to know what is going on but not being a member of NEBS, I get:

You are not authorised to view this resource.
You need to login.

I can't read it... could some one fill me in?

The members only section of the NEBS web site is not up and running yet. That is why you are getting that message. The web site is still a work in progress.

Moderators Note:There are people serving on the BoD of both KCBS and NEBS that I consider to be friends. There are also people that have weighed in on this issue, in other threads, that I consider to be friends as well. I hope that everyone will stick to the facts, as they know them and not speculate wildly.

As with any other topic that has the potential to become a heated debate....it will continue as long as the participants can remain civil.

Not the I. P. of another organization. ...

... Someone is trying to create an issue where there should not be one.

Merl

Totally been an observer until now but, the questions being asked by interested and active members of both organizations that are not directly involved while holding a stake in the issue as competitors and organizers; are two fold:

What is the specific Intellectual Property (properties) in question in this action?

and

What was the process/background/precident for the levy against the reps?

It may only be "I.P." issues to the KCBS but, it's the reputation of my reps and friends to me.

Those are the "issues" the KCBS created by not communicating clearly to it's members.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally been an observer until now but, the questions being asked by interested and active members of both organizations that are not directly involved while holding a stake in the issue as competitors and organizers; are two fold:

What is the specific Intellectual Property (properties) in question in this action?

and

What was the process/background/precident for the levy against the reps?

It may only "I.P." issues to the KCBS but, it's the reputation of my reps and friends to me.

Those are the "issues" the KCBS created by not communicating clearly to it's members.

Eloquently written.

I do not know what the mystery is. There is a single issue. Either be sanctioned or licences, or in the alternative use your own rules. Not the I. P. of another organization. We have asked others to change rules as to not use the I.p. Pf KCbS, Without issue. Someone is trying to create an issue where there should not be one.
Merl

To me, Merl, as someone peripherally involved, there are separate 'issues' from the I.P.-- the dismissal of reps with little explanation other than the vaguest of explanation, and the manner in which KCBS addressed the supposed infringement of I.P.

As someone involved with a contest that was 'targeted' I can tell you that there was NOT clear, timely communication from KCBS regarding the issues-- and once contacted they did not detail the supposed 'infractions.' Not only that, this was our 4th year as a grilling contest and the communication referred to us a 1st/2nd year event.

Perhaps the licensing side of things can be as well thought out and explained 'transparently' so that the process is more accessible to organizers. That could go a long way to clearing the air and making it seem less like KCBS is trying to bully people.

Please take this in the spirit intended-- not meant to be hostile, just clarifiying that this goes beyond the I.P. issue.

There is a single issue. Either be sanctioned or licences, or in the alternative use your own rules. Not the I. P. of another organization.
Merl

Merl,

To help with this discussion and for the sake of event organizers in general, can you please list what the KCBS claims to be their intellectual property?

For the record, I am in favor of aggressively protecting any IP owned by the organization. Unfortunately, if those IP's aren't clearly defined it leaves things open to debate and guess work. As someone who helps with events that are not KCBS sanctioned (as well as ones that are), I'm forced to make assumptions on what would and would not be an infringement of the KCBS's rights.

Are the following considered to be protected IP's by the KCBS?

1) 6 judges to the table.
2) Categories of Chicken, Ribs, Pork and Brisket
3) Categories of Taste, Texture and Appearance
4) The order that the categories are turned in
5) Turn in times
6) The term 'Kansas City Style'
7) The weighting system for scoring
8) The range of values to judge categories on

Thanks,

Eric

Here is a question: Is it better for people to start moving away from the KCBS and running contests using other organizations. I do not know the whole story but why does NEBS only sponsor grilling Events. Why cant they sponsor whole contests. What are the benefits of having KCBS sponsor an event. Is it just for team of the year status. Or what if a new organization is started, i.e willies idea of the Big East BBQ society. The florida BBQ association seems to be doing okay. This might be the stupidest thing that someone could say, but does it make any sense.

Back