• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition space

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So what is the minimum space you like to know you will have before going to a competition? I was just checking out the Battle of the Pigs in Johnson City, Tn and the space sizes are 20 X 20. I had much more room than that at the competitions I did this year, that sounds tight to me.

20 x 20 is the norm for many (but not all) Northeast contests..

Anythng more can sometimes cost a premium or require an extra site space be paid for.

That sounds about right.
I've seen them 15 x 20

I especially hate it when they don't allow ample space for the trucks & trailers to maneuver. I have been to a non-sanctioned event that had sites jamed in so tight that if the teams in the back didn't get there first, there wasn't enough room to drive their truck to their site. It was very comical.

That sounds about right.
I've seen them 15 x 20

I especially hate it when they don't allow ample space for the trucks & trailers to maneuver. I have been to a non-sanctioned event that had sites jamed in so tight that if the teams in the back didn't get there first, there wasn't enough room to drive their truck to their site. It was very comical.

you must be talking about the Gaylord Opryland contest !!!

We get quite a few 10x30 because we are blocked off streets but you can pay for extra space.

20' X 20' is roomy for us, unless fire regs contraindicate. At Viejas, there was *supposed* to be a 10' space between any fire and any popup, tree or bush, but it seemed to be awfully selectively enforced. Last year the fire marshal made us tear down and reconfigure our camp midway through meat prep to have our WSMs in compliance, but right across the median there was a giant cooker with the firebox 6" from bushes. Go figure.

20x20 is a decent and standard size around here (KC area). A lot of contests will also offer a larger space for more money.

We did a contest that was 20x15 too...we were packed in there like sardines.

20x20 is the norm here. I would love 20x30 or 30x30 so everything isnt so cramped. really if its so tight you cant breath, is the comp cooker friendly? heck hotel rooms are about the same size and dont cost as much...unless your s.i.d.e. and you win all the time:rolleyes: ( what a "dive" after newholland)l.o.l.

space is good!!!!!!

My favorite contest is held at a camp ground. Plenty of space, electric, water, etc. Wish more had such a great setup. Worse ones are those on city streets where you are packed in like sardines.

I judged yardley this past year,,, those poor teams looked like they had a 5x10 spot,,,,never seen so many teams stuffed into such a small area,,,, Sal had the perfect spot at the WV contest,, lots of room,, nestled in a wooded area next to a little creek, but at the other end where we were,, the team beside us was set up under a walnut tree,,, and was dodging falling walnuts all weekend.

I need 20x30 or my trailer will not fit. sometimes you have to pay for more space. It sucks but that is the price you have to pay for having a big trailer. I just pay it and don't complain. It was my choice to build so big. now if all you can get is the little space we don't go.

I can work in a couple of parking spaces, it's just my truck and cooker(I prefer to not even unhitch)...

Most of our contests we cook are around KC and I guess I'm lucky but I haven't cooked many that were only 20x20. We gave 30x30 here at our event in Pleasant Hill. Most I do are 20x25, 20x30 or 30x30. A couple are pretty much unlimited... within reason.

I would say 20X20 is the norm. Besides Yardley where it felt much smaller and Dover where you have a huge spot. Right now we don't need bigger, all we have a few canopys, tables and a smoker. Once we get a trailer, if we get a trailer, then I am sure we will pay for more space.

Sal had the perfect spot at the WV contest,, lots of room,, nestled in a wooded area next to a little creek, but at the other end where we were,, the team beside us was set up under a walnut tree,,, and was dodging falling walnuts all weekend.

it was the best site I could ever hope for, thats why I want to go back if the promise me that spot again!:cool:

Space is like beer. The more I have the better i feel.

So wise to be so young. You are an inspiration to us all.

After a few years of doing the EZ-Ups and cots we don't go unless there is enough space to take the RV.

At our contest we offer 20x30 and have the option to purchase more. When we compete, we need a 20 x 30 for the trailer.

I guess I got spoiled at my first two comp's the first I had about 40' x 75', and the second about 30' x 50'. I think I could make 20' x 20' work with my pit by no smaller.

Back