View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJ65 View Post
These look like pork collars to me. The collar is the upper portion of what we would call a butt, extended back a couple more ribs on the non-US cut. Bottom line is that this should be an excellent cut for pulled pork. There should be ample fat and collagen to give you a moist product. The bottom video here shows an export fabrication and removal of the collar from the long (export) shoulder primal (at about 7:20 in the video). http://www.porkfoodservice.org/Menui...ionVideos.aspx

If I'm looking at this right, the large round at the very middle right of the second picture is the large muscle that sits on top of the shoulder blade. This will be the last muscle to tender up to be able to pull. Probe and temp this muscle to check your cook. You need to be very careful with temps on pork butts and collars because they have so many seams that will carry heat into the interior and not be the 'true' temp.

You don't have a fat cap to protect it, so be very careful with direct heat (I would use a delfector).

+1 and very good reply!!!!

I'll add that since you really like your bark and don't like the effect of foiling but are set on pushing through the stall I'd definitely go with the butcher paper method that you said you tried before. It's the best compromise in my opinion for speed and bark.

I'd go 265 till an internal of 165 then wrap in butcher paper and blast her to 325-350 till the large muscle mentioned above probes tender. Make a note as to exactly where it is when you wrap and probe THROUGH the paper instead of unwrapping and checking.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote