Harbowl Wings

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Marinated for 36 hours, 1/2 in Franks 1/2 in a ginger-teriyaki concoction. Seared them over hot hickory coals for a couple minutes then smoked to 165* temp on the indirect side, about 45 minutes. Served with hot sauce (1/2 Franks & 1/2 butter) and an asian sauce (1/4 Franks, 1/4 butter 1/2 teriyaki & lots of fresh ginger & garlic).
033_zps0bd6ca8e.jpg
[/IMG]
034_zpseec7362b.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Very nice.

I'm going to try searing first next time. It seems like when I try to get the sear afterwards that I char a lot of the skin. I imagine it would be more controlled with wings that hadn't started rendering so much.

Those look mighty fine dw! I'd hit those hard!

All these wing posts are killing me. I can wait 'til my next day off work to smoke some wings. Nice looking eats ya got there!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks to all. This was my inaugural cook on the part of my rig I intended for direct grilling, but it worked pretty good in indirect mode too for things like wings that cook pretty quick and I don't want to fire up the 24"X60" smoker. It's just some 1/4" plate steel and three 13"X18" cast iron grates I got online somewhere. Here are a couple of wide angle shots of the rig.
001_zps6ce9c2d4.jpg
[/IMG]
011_zps80ea4f82.jpg
[/IMG]

Those look great. I have a question. I mihed some Franks original with butter before and the sauce seemed a little greasy. You guys ever experience that?

kds9547; My first time grillin & smokin wings but the 1/2 Franks & 1/2 butter has been the standard I used when frying wings. I wisk the tar out of it while on the stove and hot and it seems to create a "Franks emulsion" and we use it immediately. I did notice while cleaning up (during the blackout) the butter had separated from the Franks as it cooled.

Back