Outlaw caterers beware!

can you guys define "catering" and/or "caterer"? if i'm cooking pulled pork and brisket for a picnic being hosted by a club i'm a member of and they reemburse me only for the cost of the meat, in my mind this is not catering or a caterer. correct?

brian j said:
can you guys define "catering" and/or "caterer"? if i'm cooking pulled pork and brisket for a picnic being hosted by a club i'm a member of and they reemburse me only for the cost of the meat, in my mind this is not catering or a caterer. correct?

By my definition, you are not a caterer under those conditions. You would be another food "contributor" for the event.

Jeff_in_KC said:
As someone who has sold some BBQ in the past, I am a bit miffed at the "Anytime you "act" as a caterer you low ball real caterers and make the industry more expensive for the legit businesses" comment. I haven't "low balled" anyone. I'm too proud of my product to do that. You probably ought to get to know some of the guys here before you make such generalizations.

Well spoken Jeff!

I am not certain I am grasping what occurred. If you had taken this job, isn't it probable that these people would not have gotten sick? Were there multiple caterers doing this job? I would definitely recommend purchasing insurance, but in most cases here in Ohio, you can work either with no permit (if the guests are not paying a fee and all food is prepared on-site), or with a temporary permit (the guests are paying a fee and the food is being prepared on-site.) The key here is, YOU ARE PREPARING ALL FOOD ON-SITE. A great deal of food-borne illness comes from the transitional temps food often experiences in transport. Your kitchen can be the bestest, most cleanest kitchen in the state, but if you leave the ribs in 90 degree heat in tupperware in the back of a step-van for 5 hours, you might have illnesses. When I get a temp. permit, they always check:

1) How am I keeping cold food cold ( Coolers with plenty of ice)
2) How am I keeping hot food hot (Upright on the pit)
3) Thermo Calibration
4) Handwash station
5) Wash , rinse, sanitize tubs.

I Also think, in response to Butts, to which he so eloquently apologized, that the "legitimate" caterers are the ones who are usually "lowballing." I cook two meats, two sides, dessert for $15.00 /person. Smokey Bones provides similar (leftovers) for about $7.00! Difference is, mine is fresh, and I come with it! Go get em! Woody

In MANY states, if you are catering a Private Party you DO NOT need to have a license from the Health Department.
You MUST cook ON SITE.
So, all I do is Private Parties. I go in, smoke their meat, get the check and leave.
I do not Low Ball. I charge 75.00 per hour with a 6 hour minimum and they pay for ALL meats. My only cost is for my wood and fuel for the truck.
If I can't make 500.00 for smokin' meat, I ain't doing it.
I have insurance and I have never gotten sick from cooking or made anyone else sick and I have been cooking for 40 years.
I do agree that it can happen that someone can get sick and blame you, so be careful and keep insurance.
So, I do not compete with caterer's in the area. They provide a complete service, I don't.
I don't serve, clean up, take soda pop, forks, spoons, deserts or plates. I smoke meat, that's it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!!

How do you feel if someone came to you and offered you an amount of money to smoke meats for them? What kind of legal issues would there be since you are not a caterer, you're just a regular person with a smoker that enjoys BBQ'ing.

Chris

Chris, this is a sensitive issue, and it has been discussed quite a bit. You might try a search here on catering, but will probably get tons of threads.
The short and sweet of it is:
1. Will your insurance cover you and all involved if someone becomes ill from your product?
2. Are you willing to lose everything you have in a lawsuit in order to make a few bucks?

There are many other issues, too many to list. Look around, see what comes up.

Thanks for the input, I will stick cooking for the family until I find more info about this subject. I will check with the local and state laws so that I can get more serious about cooking for people.

Is there any type of permit that you have to get before a BBQ contest?

Thanks

Chris

chris1281982 said:
Thanks for the input, I will stick cooking for the family until I find more info about this subject. I will check with the local and state laws so that I can get more serious about cooking for people.

Is there any type of permit that you have to get before a BBQ contest?

Thanks

Chris

Contests are a different monster. If you're just cooking FOR the contest then there is nothing you have to do.

Back