Best deal on Wicked Good?

NeilH

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anybody got a place they buy online since Ace Hardware dropped them?
Or a brand that's comparable? I hear Ozarks good but have never used it.

I read (somwhere on this forum) that Wicked is making lump for Kamado Joe... Have to run a seach for Kamado Joe to find a dealer, though.

Sorry, I miss it too, though many said the quality dropped about the time ACE dropped it.

$22 per 22lb bag is pretty much the going rate.

I will have 4 pallets on my floor next week of the Wicked Good weekend warrior. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will hook you up.

There was a discussion on here a while back that Wicked Good is not making Kamado but several have said the Kamado is better quality than Wicked Good.

Royal Oak from WalMart is a fine charcoal and widely available. Red bag. Lot cheaper than wicked good and more available...

I prefer WG to RO. I find that the RO, while slightly less $ per pound, burns up much more quickly so more fuel is needed for a given cook.
I try and stick with WG and buy it by the pallet, which is the best deal for me.

Just got a price for a 30 bag pallet shipped for pick-up at the local shipping co. $15.32 a bag or .70 a pound. There is another place nearby, 45 minute drive, where a 50 bag pallet is $14.50 per bag or .66 per pound. Either way is good by me. Local by-the-bag price is $23.

So what's the consensus on Wicked Good now? I too saw the problem once they went to the "blue bag". If the problem fixed?

The Kamado Joe is not bad. I've been using that since it's easily available and blows stuff like Royal Oak and Cowboy out of the water.

Anyone tried the Fogo lump?
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009P166SU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1RPDCV831SC38&coliid=I20073K8IHLZ97"]Amazon.com: Fogo FHWC35LB 35-Pound All Natural Premium Hardwood Lump Charcoal Bag: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

I got some of the bad "Blue Bag" stuff earlier in the year, at a discounted price, and it is fine for grilling. Way too many fines though.

Planning on getting a bag at a local store to see how the quality is. I'll report my findings when I see the product.

What are you guys finding on the new stuff? My new pallet seems to have smaller chunks in it. Burns fine though.

I just bought a bag.

I dont know if its new or old, I think new. Or real old lol

it has green writing and the inside of the bag has a plastic liner, but the outside of the bag is paper, I thought the whole bag was paper looking at

anyway, it looks like the normal quality stuff. I did not dump it out, this is just from looking in it

Just bought a new bag of WG to compare to the stuff from last Spiring which was pretty bad. Dumped out 1 of each side by side and the new stuff is definitely better, more larger chunks and far less dust and fines, than the stuff from Spring which, by the way, ended up at the discount stores like Ocean Job lots. I separated them both similarly into piles by size and weighed the tiny stuff that fell through a 1/2" screen. New stuff just 14 oz. of dust. Older stuff 1 pound 13 oz., or twice as much waste product. Took some pics and I will start a new thread soon once I open up a bag of the plastic bagged, before the troubles, charcoal for a three way comparo. What I see from this one new bag, is good enough for me to consider a pallet purchase in the next week or so. Going on vaca, so charcoal can wait!

Just did a dump out of the Green bag WG from a couple years ago. Looks to be very similar to the new blue/paper bag stuff. Similar sizes and the same weight of fines/dust at 14 oz. I will do a burn sometime in the future, but from the looks of things, they have gotten back to being a quality product.

Back