Briskets: Separating the "good" from the "transcendent"

I started with bigabyte's brisket tutorial and was gonna move on to bigger and better things once I got the hang of it. But it was so darn tasty and easy, I just keep on doing it.

IMO, people over-think things too much. Rub it, put on the smoker, and take it off when it's done. No sooner.

I think it holds true that the better the piece of meat you start with, the more likely you will end up with a great result. But, that is not to say grading the the ultimate answer. A Choice packer with a 1" thick flat is not necessarily going to do better than a Select packer with a 1.75" thick flat. One thing to remember is that the grading does not hinge on brisket quality, so it pays to select the best meat you can get, regardless of grade.

I happen to cook several briskets a year on my kettle and several on my UDS, and I have a reasonable chance of producing an exceptional brisket on either cooker. I don't happen to think it all comes down to temperature, it comes down to temperature, moisture in the cooker, cut of meat, airflow as well.

I will tell you, I think more briskets are ruined due to rushing, not allowing enough time, not resting long enough and insisting on using internal temperature than for any reason that could be traced to cut or grade of meat.

150's??? :shocked:

Ain't nobody gonna enjoy that!

I'll go with you made a typo and it should have been 190's.
:doh:No TYPO! You need to go back and reread that post> I don't take or monitor the temp while cooking! Once the brisket has probed tender and is off the pit, I let it rest on the Counter top Wrapped when the IT DROPS TO 150 ISH it is ready to be served.

I will tell you, I think more briskets are ruined due to rushing, not allowing enough time, not resting long enough and insisting on using internal temperature than for any reason that could be traced to cut or grade of meat.

No truer words ever spoke on the subject!

so maybe this question for me can finally get answered. when I cook briskets, the seemy very tender around 180, then they tighten up and turn almost rock hard in the 195 area. will that brisket release again and become tender or when they turn hard your f'd?

Anyone who actually reads the multitude of posts here knows that as "The Truth". :clap2:

I would bet that 95% (or more) of the "My Brisket Sucks" threads are simply due to under-cooking--as in not waiting for "probe tender".
Once the brisket is really done, it seems that everything else falls in line with taste, appearance, etc.

TIM

I think the biggest single factor is when you pull it. I believe that brisket has a very narrow window between undercooked and overcooked. It takes a lot of experience and skill to know when it is done perfectly.

so maybe this question for me can finally get answered. when I cook briskets, the seemy very tender around 180, then they tighten up and turn almost rock hard in the 195 area. will that brisket release again and become tender or when they turn hard your f'd?
Simple answer

BluDawgs BBQ RULES

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

so what your saying is yes, my typical brisket is done in when I probe it like butter around the 180 range?

so what your saying is yes, my typical brisket is done in when I probe it like butter around the 180 range?
I don't take temps IMO a waste of time. When it feels like that Hot Monkey Love when your Huck-a-Buchin with your woman it's done! Temp has nothing to do with it.

I don't take temps IMO a waste of time. When it feels like that Hot Monkey Love when your Huck-a-Buchin with your woman it's done! Temp has nothing to do with it.

Well sir, there are exceptions, as those who are familiar with the term "it was like throwing a hot dog down a hallway" can confirm.

Fortunately, once one settles down in life, this term becomes irrelevant.

Alrighty, y'all know where to find me...:tsk:

4. It is easier to cook at 280F than 225F and get a moist brisket. Although, my best cook last year, due to issues that were completely under my control but, that I did not control (beer), went like this...
1.5 hours at 225F
ramped
4 hours at 325F
ramped down
2 hours at 220F
ramped
1 hour at 300F

Pulled and it was glorious. Maybe the best brisket I ever cooked.

So, you're saying the secret to great brisket is massive consumption? :becky:

Ok so it seems like one of the main skill is knowing where the small window is where it's the right time to pull it. I also know you're not supposed to open and check often because you lose heat, etc. So, at one temperature do you start checking it, and how often should you check? Not too often I imagine or you lose a lot of heat each time.

Also, has anyone here used a pellet smoker to cook a brisket? Or a gas? I know the restaurants in NYC where I've had those amazing brisket experiences use gas as a heat source - so I know it's possible to make good brisket this way.

Never used a pellet cooker, I have use a gasser. There is a big difference between a commercial gasser and a residential gasser. Personally, I think you are putting way to much emphasis on the cooker still, you can make a great brisket on any cooker.

I poke at the meat and fuss with it, but, if I was going to use a thermometer, I would start checking at 185F. I used to start checking at 165F, which it will NEVER be done at, but, I was trying to learn the feel of the meat at each stage of the cook. I am pretty confident that I can read a brisket by feel now, but, the probe is a good backup. probe at 185F, and then every 45 minutes until if gets close. Then every thirty minutes until it is done. That small window of done is actually pretty easy to get close after a few tries.

I don't start checking until it gets to 190. As others said earlier I think the most common mistake is not going by probe tender, don't go by temp for being done.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Use the search bar and do a search for "Night Train Brisket". Then do the cook it will unlock the secrets that you seek. Information over load only makes it more difficult to find the answers which you seek. You need to "Ride the Train".

Back