• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken cooking methods

R

Roo-B-Q'N

In KCBS sanctioned contest, we all know that cooking chicken on grills has become acceptable. It is chicken cooked over coals and perhaps chunks or chips but often no smoking occurs.
Are dutch ovens allowed to be used to cook chicken? Not fry or boil, but to simply cook in. I have never done chicken in a dutch oven, but I can see where a crispy skin can be achieved. I can even see where chips can be used in the dutch oven to achieve smoke.
Don't want to stir the pot on the grilled chicken at comps, just wanting to know why one method would be legal and the other not. Has this ever been done or even discussed with KCBS? Would be interested to know.

It doesn't say you can't, but rule 6 gets close to it.

5. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and
electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or
holding
. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters,
provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking
device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced
draft are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted,
except at the election of the contest organizer. Fires shall not
be built on the ground.
6. Parboiling and/or deep-frying competition meat is not
allowed.

I wonder if it was in a dutch oven, over an open fire, or, on a firebox....

Isn't dutch oven similar to cooking in a foil pan?

You could make that arguement. Others could also argue that the properties of the different metals.....

I think I know what goes in the pan, with the method you had in mind.

The DO is not the heat source, and not cooking anything. If a foil pan is legal, a DO is legal, as long as they are both USED in adhereance to the heat source rules.

I say, knock yourself out with that DO as long as it is contained in a smoker or grill that adheres to the pellets, charcoal, wood rule.

Now, about those darned pellets and "electrical accesories"..... :icon_devil

I've never seen one used, but that doesn't mean you can't or folks don't. Just watch the part in Rule 6 about not deep frying. If you add any oil, or even oil from the chicken fat, it may come out like fried chicken and you could run the risk of a DQ. It sounds interesting though.

6. Parboiling and/or deep-frying competition meat is not
allowed.

Let us know how you make out and post technique and results. I could go for another method........

At Cabellas Dundee one year a gentlement cooked all his meats using a dutch oven and open fire. So long as you don't parboil or deep fry it's legal assuming you use charcoal or wodd for the fire and not gas or electric.

At Cabellas Dundee one year a gentlement cooked all his meats using a dutch oven and open fire. So long as you don't parboil or deep fry it's legal assuming you use charcoal or wodd for the fire and not gas or electric.
How did he do?

There was a team at Grand Rapids this summer that was using DO. while they didn't score in chicken, they did win ribs I believe... I don't think they cooked their ribs in the DO though...

Honestly, they were too busy the whole time... they made me exhausted just watching them running around. So my guess is it is way too labor intesive for a BBQ comp. As I know I don't have that kind of energy for a Saturday morning... Which is probably pretty obvious, as that is why I have 2 FE's...

Back