Cowboy Lump- Old vs New

ButtBurner

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I decided to start a new thread about this

I bought a bag of the sale Cowboy Lump on Sunday from True Value, it was an old bag (made in USA) and it was mill scraps. Not that thats bad, just what it is. Very similar to RO First pic
second pic is from a new bag I just bought today from another TV, they just got this shipment in, made in Mexico. Totally different stuff.
third pic is both together, old on left.

So this should answer the question that yes, the new stuff from Mexico is different. I bought 3 bags of the new, all were like this

no dead frogs in either bag

Last edited:
I've run a few bags of the new and improved through my 26.75 OTG and its pretty nice stuff, especially compared to stock Kingsford. Little sparky when I first turn it out of the chimney but no big deal. Have not tried a long cook with it yet?

I've run a few bags of the new and improved through my 26.75 OTG and its pretty nice stuff, especially compared to stock Kingsford. Little sparky when I first turn it out of the chimney but no big deal. Have not tried a long cook with it yet?

its taking off in the chimney right now. Sparks dont bug me. I find that the more natural lump usually sparks more when lighting anyway

The type on the left is what Cowboy has been up here in NJ since last year. Not a big fan of it all... Burned very quickly, not at all hot and I went through 2 20lb bags on an 8hour cook. Was not happy with it at all. I guess the old stuff was better however I never used it. RO has always been good to me so ive stayed with that and Blue Kingsford

I see a difference, hell the old has a 1by in it

the piece in the front is some kind of siding or maybe its from furniture, it has grooves cut in it. Like I said nothing wrong with mill scraps, I do notice that the new stuff is burning slower.

I have both grilling up some salmon right now with both new and old.

Carbonized Wood is carbonized wood it makes no difference what tree it came from the BTUs are the same ounce for ounce what changes the game is the size of the pieces. Smaller pieces will burn up more quickly because of their low mass. I use the stuff from HEB that is trucked up from Old Mexico. It probably came from the same kiln as the Cowboy. At 4.87 for 10 lb it 's a good deal.

after my cook I shut down the coals.

I do not see much of the millwood scraps, but I still have plenty of the new stuff left. It does burn longer. I have no doubt about that.

Carbonized Wood is carbonized wood it makes no difference what tree it came from the BTUs are the same ounce for ounce what changes the game is the size of the pieces. Smaller pieces will burn up more quickly because of their low mass. I use the stuff from HEB that is trucked up from Old Mexico. It probably came from the same kiln as the Cowboy. At 4.87 for 10 lb it 's a good deal.

Check out the naked wiz. Wicked Good Competition blend was very dense and burned a very long time.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

I tried a bag last weekend... Nice large lump, a 5 - 6 pound load lasted slightly over 8 hours. I'm glad they got their act together and have a good price on much better charcoal.

I did get a bag just to see if they had changed. They bag was definitely full of branch-type pieces, not lumber scraps, however the smell was just too pungent for me. Once it ashed over it was fine but I usually like to leave a little unburned lump in for flavor. I couldn't do that with the new Cowboy. But it was a nice change to see chunks of wood that I could tell where they came off of the tree.

Planning on picking up 4 bags I ordered online and had shipped to a local TV by me.
IF the lump is decent, 4 bags @ $8.21 each for 20lbs is a steal.
If not, I have 3 17lb bags of Royal Oak on standby...ready as ever.

Should have mine shortly, I'll tear open a bag and get pics up as well.

I had pieces that were almost too big to fit in a Weber chimney, some nice-sized pieces and more dust and bits than there should have been in my 20-pound bag from Lowe's.
On the good side, the pieces were tree branches rather than scraps.

Back