Burger love... meat/fat

What is your fav meat to fat ratio for burgers?

• 85/15

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • 80/20

Votes: 55 64.7%
  • 70/30

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • other

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unless it's from a Butcher, 80/20 is the norm in the market here. Have tried leaner but fat = flavor in this case.

80/20 for beef
70/30 for venison

80/20

If I go any leaner than that, the burger isn't juicy. Any fattier, the burger shrinks too much, and I can't keep the grease flare-ups under control.

80/20 for beef
70/30 for venison

i add 10% beef suet to my ground venison. yeah, it's lean but i like the texture better compared to venison burger that added fatty hamburger or pork sausage.

I grind my own so not really sure but I figure its usually around 75/25 or 80/20.

I grind my own, so I'm guessing, like Sudsandswine. But I usually add bacon fat to my blend too.
If I have to buy ground beef, I'll look for 70/30, but it's rare you'll find it. Mostly 80/20 on the shelves.

80/20 , when I see a restaurant advertise that they use "ground sirloin" all I can think of is "dry burger"

I don't like the burger to be 1/2 the size I started with when I am done. However, fat makes the burger better. So I split the difference and went 80/20.

Someone answered other. If you're making burgers with something other than listed, would you please elaborate on your answer??

i add 10% beef suet to my ground venison. yeah, it's lean but i like the texture better compared to venison burger that added fatty hamburger or pork sausage.

Suet works great! Sometimes I grind up fatty bacon and add to the venison.
Like you, I like venison burger a bit lean. I love the flavor of venison and don't want to change it too much.

85/15 from 100% grass fed beef not cooked beyond med/med well to insure retained moisture.

Last edited:
I answered 70/30, but when i buy preground, I buy 73/27 whenever my local Kroger has it.
I prefer to grind my own, either chuck or brisket, which i figure is somewhere in that range.
BTW, wife really prefers the ground brisket.

80/20 is the sweet spot for me, maybe 75/25. The key is loose grind. Pack in in tight and the texture goes to hell in a hurry.

I make my own and go for 75/25
But honestly it is probably closer to 80/20 as the fat percentage is fat and some meat
I put in "other" as I am not absolutely sure

Back