• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Nominations for the KCBS Board of Directors are now open

YankeeBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
If you or someone you know would like to run for the KCBS Board of directors nominations are being accepted from now until the end of the month. To nominate someone send an email to nominating@kcbs.us

A term on the board lasts 3 years and is a big commitment. Regular Meetings are held once a month via teleconference.

There are 4 open seats for a full 3 year term and 1 open seat for a 2 year term.

Paul Kirk Served 2 consecutive terms so he's not eligible to run again
Mike Lake Served 2 consecutive terms so he's not eligible to run again
Candy Weaver served 1 term and is eligible to run again
Arlie Bragg served 1 term and is eligible to run again

Seat open when George Mullins resigned. The person elected to this seat will serve the 2 remaining years of George's term. The person with the 5th most votes during the 2013 election will serve this term

Will the list of candidates who have accepted nominations be made public before the end of the month?

If not, I'd like to know the reasoning behind it. If it's a rule in the "bylaws" or other such document, that's a valid reason, but if it's not, why?

dmp

Will the list of candidates who have accepted nominations be made public before the end of the month?

If not, I'd like to know the reasoning behind it. If it's a rule in the "bylaws" or other such document, that's a valid reason, but if it's not, why?

dmp

The nominations are open until the end of the month and once all nominations have been made and accepted a list will be published. I think that's fair to all possible candidates and as far as I know it's been the procedure for many years.

I think that's fair to all possible candidates

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but are you saying that it might be unfair to existing candidates if the public was aware of their candidacy before nominations closed? I've never been a part of another organization which handles elections that way, but then, I've not been a member of every organization.

dmp

I'm saying I think it's fair to all candidates that KCBS make it public that they are running all at the same time. There's nothing preventing any candidate from announcing they are running but I think official word on the KCBS website should be handled as a single group. How do other organizations you belong to handle elections ? Any organization I've been a part of, announces all the candidates at once in a newsletter or email. Of course most organizations I belong to only have monthly newsletters they don't publish things on a weekly basis.

For the FBA elections they are listed on the website as soon as thy accept the nomination. I think Steve is correct that it has been the policy of the kcbs to list candidates once nominations are closed.

I'm saying I think it's fair to all candidates that KCBS make it public that they are running all at the same time.

I think I get it: You're saying that it may not be fair for one candidate to get more publicity from KCBS than another due to when they each accepted a nomination? I can understand that.

How do other organizations you belong to handle elections ?

The other ones I have belonged to that come to mind, past and present, have nominations and elections at the same time, so every one voting, and those who might choose to run, know who's running as it happens. I don't think I've ever had the right kind of stock to elect an S-Corp's BOD. Looking at the US political system, I think that each person's candidacy is made public as soon as that candidate files the appropriate paperwork.

My biggest question is to know if there will be choices in the upcoming election (> 5 candidates), or if any one stands the chance of getting in by default. I would think those kinds of figures might encourage more nominations...but thank you for answering my questions, including the reason why.

dmp

I can say that there are currently more than 5 candidates running so that answers your biggest question, DMP.

Here's the list of nominees running for the 2013 KCBS Board of Directors, as published in the KCBS November Quick Notes: Candy Weaver (incumbent), Cheryl Hill (The Smoking Hills), Dave Londeen, Stephanie Wilson (me), Wayne Lohman (past board member), Richard Preston, Steve Grinstead, Kim Collier, Andy Weaver, Arlie Bragg (incumbent), Gene Goycochea (past board member), Don Harwell (past board member) and Mike Peters (KCBS Great American BBQ Tour).

Here's the list of nominees running for the 2013 KCBS Board of Directors, as published in the KCBS November Quick Notes: Candy Weaver (incumbent), Cheryl Hill (The Smoking Hills), Dave Londeen, Stephanie Wilson (me), Wayne Lohman (past board member), Richard Preston, Steve Grinstead, Kim Collier, Andy Weaver, Arlie Bragg (incumbent), Gene Goycochea (past board member), Don Harwell (past board member) and Mike Peters (KCBS Great American BBQ Tour).

I am not related to Andy Weaver and I don't recall this name being approved on 11/14!

Below are the 12 people running for the KCBS BOD in January:
Arlie Bragg
Kim Collier
Steve Grinstead
Gene Goycochea
Don Harwell
Cheryl Hill
Wayne Lohman
David Londeen
Mike Peters
Richard Preston
Candy Weaver