Browsing at GFS

dadsr4

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I stopped in for charcoal today, and thought to jot down prices as I walked the aisles. Just a random sample. Your prices might vary.
Charcoal 20 lbs for 8.99
Lump 20 lbs for 13.99
Boneless pork loin 1.99 / lb
Whole spares 1.89 / lb
Boneless pork butt 1.39 / lb
Chuck ribs 2.39 / lb
There was a sign stating that they would order other meats on request. Might be useful for large orders.

I stopped in for charcoal today, and thought to jot down prices as I walked the aisles. Just a random sample. Your prices might vary.
Charcoal 20 lbs for 8.99
Lump 20 lbs for 13.99
Boneless pork loin 1.99 / lb
Whole spares 1.89 / lb
Boneless pork butt 1.39 / lb
Chuck ribs 2.39 / lb
There was a sign stating that they would order other meats on request. Might be useful for large orders.

Because of an earlier post by you (thanks!!) I stopped there and bought a bag of their lump. BUT I also snagged a Choice 8 1/2lb packet brisket for $2.49/lb

that my friend, made me happy!!!

the fresh meat cooler is small, but its got some good deals in it!!! I stopped at a different GFS and they did not have brisket, so I am sure the selection varies store to store

they are handy for me since I pass 3 of them on my way home from work!!!

How would you rate the quality of the meat? Costco/sams club? Restaurant Depot?

How would you rate the quality of the meat? Costco/sams club? Restaurant Depot?
I can't speak to those locations, but the pork I've had is not enhanced. The meat I have bought has cooked up well and is as good, if not better, quality as that sold around me in grocery stores.

I like GFS. Like anything else you need to know your prices and I would not give up my Sam's club membership.
There bacon is great and reasonably priced, I pick up butt's if the price is right, They have been stocking some great looking briskets lately. We love there spiral cut hams!
I wait to after Easter or thanksgiving and pick up a few on discount and toss em in the freezer.
Ok need to smoke a ham this weekend now

the fresh meat cooler is small, but its got some good deals in it!!!

I shop there weekly and know most of the staff pretty well.

The retail end (the Marketplace stores we can walk into) does service both small restaurants (large ones get Gordon Food Service delivered, so it is restaurant quality, whatever that means) and individuals with no membership.

I quoted the above because of a recent conversation with my store manager:

SM: Can I help you?
Me: No, just looking (I am in the fresh meat cooler area).
SM: Well, just ask. Oh, and I see you checking out the fresh meat cooler each week. Just an FYI, we will expand our cooler soon as we always have move of a selection of fresh meat for the summer grilling season :roll:

Me: Sounds good.
Store Manager continues to fark around in the area and says "Just holler if I can help you with anything"

So I putz around and find a 16# packer brisket in there at around $2.49# just as above.

So I walk over to him and say:
Me: I wonder if you can help me. How in the hell can I get a 16# brisket into the freezer without the wife noticing.

Totally caught him off guard and he had to think about it. Of course he flubbed the answer and told me to cut it up and freeze it in smaller unnoticeable chunks, but we still had a laugh.

The retail end (the Marketplace stores we can walk into) does service both small restaurants (large ones get Gordon Food Service delivered, so it is restaurant quality, whatever that means) and individuals with no membership.

SM: Well, just ask. Oh, and I see you checking out the fresh meat cooler each week. Just an FYI, we will expand our cooler soon as we always have move of a selection of fresh meat for the summer grilling season :roll:

Store Manager continues to fark around in the area and says "Just holler if I can help you with anything"

So I putz around and find a 16# packer brisket in there at around $2.49# just as above.

Me: I wonder if you can help me. How in the hell can I get a 16# brisket into the freezer without the wife noticing.

Totally caught him off guard and he had to think about it. Of course he flubbed the answer and told me to cut it up and freeze it in smaller unnoticeable chunks, but we still had a laugh.

HA HA I have the same issue!!

BUT I do have a meat and beer fridge in the basement that I use as a buffer zone/staging area!!!

Not to change the subject, but out of curiousity if you freeze a 16lb brisket, about how long does it take to thaw it to the point you can smoke it?

Back