View Single Post
Old 11-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Default Ham is done and it's Tasty Too! Pr0n

I started a 20lb fresh ham in a brine consisting of the following ingredients.

3 Gallons Water
4.5 Cups Kosher Salt
6 Cups Dark Brown Sugar
4.5 Oz's Pink Salt
Into a 5 Gallon Home Depot Bucket Sterilized

Trimmed off the skin and injected it with about 3 cups of the brine, particularly around the bone after I removed the Ache Bone. I left the Shank intact. Into the brine while I went off to France. When I returned 15 days later I removed it from the brine rinsed with fresh clear water and dried it off and put it back in the walk-in to chill and develop a nice pellicle for the smoke to adhere to.

Rubbed her down with some yellow mustard and coated it with Santa Maria Seasoning from our good friends at Oakridge BBQ.

Popped it onto my Kamado set-up indirect at 275 With Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel Chips for smoke and a drip pan for some Redeye gravy. It looked lonely so I introduced it to a naked fatty to keep it company. The crumbled fatty later went into Brother Wampus's famous Peach Bourbon Smoked Beans. Thanks again Wampus.

4 hours in she started looking tasty, I made up a mop of Apple Cider, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Worcestershire Sauce to keep her from drying out too fast.

Once the IT reached 160 I pulled her off and scored the fatcap so the glaze would seep in and hold. The glaze was 2 cups of Brown Sugar, 1/2 cup white Karo Syrup, 1/2 Cup Sue Bee Honey, 2 Tablespoons of Colemans Dry Mustard, and 2 Cups of old #7 Jack Daniels Sour Mash. Brought everything to a low roil and whisked it all up and set it aside to cool while I sliced a fresh Pineapple and some Maraschino Cherries.

And back to the smoker to finish off at an internal temperature of 170 degrees. Rested on the counter.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and thanks for lookin, and I'll keep on Cookin!

Jed

Thanks from: --->