Probably the best brisket, yet!!! (with pron)

Mad Max

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Like some many others have posted in the past, I have tried doing brisket several times, and quite honestly have never been totally satisfied. But persistence paid off tonight!!! :razz:
I started out with...an 8# brisket.
hiheat1.jpg

hiheat2.jpg

I trimmed it on one side and prepared to inject it, with beef broth.
hiheat3.jpg

Left the fat cap on, the other side, and then put it in the fridge, for about 5 hours. Took it out, about an hour before, to get the meat to room temperature. The big difference was to try the high heat method, rather than the traditional slow and low. So, I got my chimney going (using reg. Kningsford and 2 chunks of mesquite) for my kettle and when it was ready, moved the coals to one side and put a drip pan under where the brisket was gonna go.
hiheat6.jpg

hiheat7.jpg

The rub was simple, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
The kettle was running about 340 to 360 degrees, about 3 hours and the internal temp. on the brisket was at 160 degrees. At this point, foiled the brisket and looked for 195-200 degrees. Approx. 2 hours and we had 200 degrees. In the cooler for about 20 minutes, and then couldn't resist to slice and see what happened???

Always a good sign....
hiheat8.jpg

The first couple of slices...
hiheat9.jpg

hiheat11.jpg

hiheat12.jpg

This was the best brisket I've made. Extremely moist, tender and juicy! Especial thanks to all the Brethren, who posted, in regards to the high heat method and to all you others trying to conquer brisket, never give up! :-D

Looks like a great job from here. Can you work me up a sammie and ship it since my family ate all my leftovers from Sunday?

I like the pron, thank you. How did it taste with the injection? Did it have a salty taste?

I like the pron, thank you. How did it taste with the injection? Did it have a salty taste?

It tasted great with the injection, a slight salty tasty, but nothing over powering. Actually, next time, I am thinking of letting it sit longer in the marinade.

Looks like you did a great job on a tough cut of meat!

Looks like a great job from here. Can you work me up a sammie and ship it since my family ate all my leftovers from Sunday?

I know that one... Over Memorial Day I made a 17# Packer and a 8# Butt. You think when I went to make a sammie I could find any???? Nope, my family from KC (who don't have a smoker "Because you do") packed it all up and took it with them!:eek: Next time I'm hidding it in my truck!

That looks awesome......I have to try doing a brisket agian soon. I just get so discouraged everytime I do one.They usually always going flying across the yard because of my disappointment.

This picture here tells a lot. Notice the spaces between the meat fibers on the Flat (Bottom) specifically. Both Collagen and Fat are taken away leaving gaps in the fibers and making it tender with no loss of moistness.

FINE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, although this is probably to Kansas City standards of being done (I can tell from the complete slices) its not bad even by Texas Standards.

I cannot wait until you try NO Injection and maybe use the same cooking techniques with the tri-level rub. I would like to see YOUR commentary on taste.

This past weekend I noticed a few things about my Crust created with the old traditional method of Brisket Smoking a la West Texas Czech and German Country. I never notice this before. Lately, because of the Charity work I am doing I have been having to wrap and bank a lot of my brisket. In addition, some of it gets cooked maybe 2/3 of the way and wrapped in plastic and actually frozen so that others need only to warm it in the oven. I assumed my bark would be gone. I have an incredible traditional bark that occurs through no artificial means... just heat and salt. (THE OTHER flavors are secondary to the ratio)

Well dang if the bark does not come back nearly completely if you just cut the hot briskets out of the pouches AND dump on the slicing table and turn your head a few minutes. When I used a High Powdered Seasoning or High Sugar Rubs long ago the bark would never return. Anyone that has had proper traditional bark knows that crystalline crunch they have. That "wow it looks burned but its anything but taste." This can only be accomplished with the high salt ratios of the German and Czech style. So in turn, the bark tends to come back because the first 1/4 inch or more is so impregnated with salt. Those crystals I theorize recrystallize once again probably due (using basic science here) as part of that precious cooling process that turns the solution soaked meat into a lightly crystalline structure once again. No heat is needed.

Anyway, as I sent maybe 50 or so briskets home to those that wanted to buy a whole brisket, I got similar feedback. Thats what tipped me off in the first place...feedback from soaked briskets cooked in a plastic pouch in the oven for 2-3 hours at 250 or so - unanimous feedback that the crust was... well crusty. I never figured that.

Once again folks this is just another way. Not the best (and I am saying that only to be diplomatic:p) but another way.

One thing about traditional and injections. They don't use any. The reason being is the proper salt RATIO solves that for you.

My ratio thread here

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57130&highlight=salt+funk

There is one marinade/injection that you cannot buy that blows this theory (the no injections/no marinade theory) away. Its so secret even I don't use it (although I did use it to feed the local Brisket Champion and he nearly flipped as he didn't get why the briskets he saw me prepare [about 70 of them] fell short of the brisket I gave him.)

Oh I have fantasized and read and re-read the rules to see how it could be done in contests without violation (especially the marinading rule) and it could be done. When I taste it I will know. Its nothing like Dales or anything ever conceived... well once conceived as a joke by a drunken well credentialed and heavily trophy laden Q team I was a part of back in the 90's when we all laughed at Injections and when it was frowned upon like tender quick is today. Oh... the looks on our drunken, sun fried heads when we tasted it. We all made a vow never to use it in a contest. Oh my gosh its good.

A few here (in PM in the past) know what I am talking about and also have realized they need to keep their mouth shut. :-D I am grateful they have.

:icon_shy

That looks awesome......I have to try doing a brisket agian soon. I just get so discouraged everytime I do one.They usually always going flying across the yard because of my disappointment.

I know exactly what you are talking about. It has been about two years of attempting to get it right, and so far this was the best results I've had. It is a starting place and will continue to try and improve. Hang in there!

They usually always going flying across the yard because of my disappointment.

Take pix! I would like to see that! :p

That brisket RAWKS. And over coals, to boot! What did you marinade the brisket with? I am a zealot for marinades -- a true believer. Almost everything I do gets marinaded first. It looks really moist and tender -- hard to do with that cut.

:-D My tummy is grumbling. :grin:

The best brisket advice I ever got was "Brisket is a journey. You'll know when you get there." Helped me a ton.
Looks like you did a fine job on yours.
One point to make, in your pic (the one barbefunkoramque used) you can see that the grain of the point (top) and flat (bottom) run in different directions. Before slicing (sometimes before cooking) I seperate them so I can cut both pieces across the grain.

Take pix! I would like to see that! :p

That brisket RAWKS. And over coals, to boot! What did you marinade the brisket with? I am a zealot for marinades -- a true believer. Almost everything I do gets marinaded first. It looks really moist and tender -- hard to do with that cut.

:-D My tummy is grumbling. :grin:

I injected it with beef broth and then let sit in the fridge for about 5 hours.

The best brisket advice I ever got was "Brisket is a journey. You'll know when you get there." Helped me a ton.
Looks like you did a fine job on yours.
One point to make, in your pic (the one barbefunkoramque used) you can see that the grain of the point (top) and flat (bottom) run in different directions. Before slicing (sometimes before cooking) I seperate them so I can cut both pieces across the grain.

You are right, I will definitely do that next time, I was not sure if I should separate first or cook then separate. At that point, I had too many hungry eyes to separate and they were getting restless. Thanks for the advice, I will definitely do that next time.

Brisket looks great. The high heat method is hard to do if you only have one grill at a Comp- a stick burner

Looks Great!!!! I have not tackled doing a brisket yet. I will refer back to this when I get ready!!

Back