KISS UDS build

W

WvSmoke

No, not the band! Keep It Simple Stupid!

I originally joined this site so I could view some pics of some 275 builds before I start my new one. After seeing the many UDS builds, I realized that a UDS would be a great addition and would help take up some the cooker slack until the 275 is done. Since the 275 will probably be put on hold until spring, I threw together a simple UDS this weekend. I can get drums for $14 all day long, so this will not be the only UDS build you will see from me. I plan on building several more to give as gifts to close friends and a couple more for myself. This is just the very basic KISS prototype to “get my feet wet”, so to speak.
Nothing on this UDS is welded. Once I am comfortable with a good design, the mig will come out. So, without further ado (can you say ado on this site?):

The drum contained some leftover material that I believe to be latex paint, judging by the smell. It all burned off nicely, but the drum had the much-hated red liner.

I honestly thought it would be a nightmare to get rid of, after all of the reading I have done here. Maybe I was lucky, but after the first burn and about 5 hours with a grinder and sander, the drum is almost clean, just a little touch-up to do.

For the basket I used expanded metal from Lowes. I don’t like the gauge (18 gauge) but it will do for now. I stiffened it with strip steel and attached it to a pizza pan as an ash catcher. Like I said, it’s a prototype.

Finally, added the hardware and threw in a webber grate.

It’s not quite done. Still need a basket handle, lid handle, exhaust baffle and clean/paint the lid ring, but you get the idea.

Overall, I like the UDS. Once I get to test burn it in a few days, I can make adjustments that cater to my own cooking needs, and maybe start to do some customizing.

Attachments

• first burn.JPG
    first burn.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 335
  • red liner.JPG
    red liner.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 330
  • little more cleaning.JPG
    little more cleaning.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 331
  • fire basket 2.JPG
    fire basket 2.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 331
  • interior.JPG
    interior.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 332
  • done.JPG
    done.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 339
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great! Looks like you had an easy time with the red liner too... nice work!

Thanks guys! I want to make sure it works before I go too much further. From what I have read here, it should be fine. The red liner is a pita. I have seen some tough stuff in my days, but dang! Why doesn't someone paint cars with that stuff? On the bright side, it gave me a chance to fire up the heater in the barn, crack a few cold ones and play with my toys! Man, I love BBQ, cold beer and power tools!!!

Now get it dirty. :p

Would love to fire it up right now. Unfortunately it's 42° windy and raining. My work schedule won't allow any fire until probably Thursday. I would really like to flame it up soon because I am cooking for a friendly gathering here on Saturday. I am planning on 3 full racks on the UDS, plus stuffed pepper, italian, and mexican fattys over indirect on the grill, spatchcock chickens on the ECB , and some ABT's on the hibachi. Will probably make some bacon wrapped Walleye and scallops too. I really need the UDS!

Yes. It's kind of hard to tell, but it is held up by carriage bolts, ran through the bottom of the pizza pan. It is elevated about 3". I'll get a better pic tomorrow after work.

Here is a little better pic of it. You can see one of the carriage bolts.

Attachments

• fire basket.JPG
    fire basket.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 277
How hot roughly did the barrel get when you burned out the liner. I did a burn in mine this weekend and got the barrel real hot the metal was red about 12 inches up and had some real heat coming from it could be felt from about 8 feet away but the liner only apeared to be about half gone by morning still had coals burning 13 hours after i started. is it easier to sand out after the burn? i was going to try another burn and see where that gets me but dont want to damage it in any way any thoughts? or do I have some kind of super red liner :( all the outside paint was gone through the process but not the inside.

Honestly swally, it got extremely hot. I filled the drum 2/3 full with oak and cherry and eventually had flames 2 feet above the top of the drum. I think the problem is heat direction. The bottom of the drum was clean up to almost the first ring. It seems the best cleaning was had where the coals were in direct contact with the liner. My next burn will be a rolling burn. I'll build a fire in the pit, and a fire in the drum. When both are going good, I'll lay the drum in the pit and roll it 1/8 turn every 1/2 hour or so while trying to keep the fire in the drum going as well. That should work. From what I have observed, the liner is dust at any point the hot coals were in contact with.

KISS is the only way to go. Use the drum like a lump charcoal kiln and the red stuff comes off on the first burn. Good job!

Back