how many chicken breasts?

Tinybud

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Trying to find out roughly how many chicken breast are in a 40 pound case,, bone in, skin on. Pricing out a wedding reception for 300 people, I'm more familar with leg quarters, only done the breast of small scale, trying to find out how many cases I'll need to order. Anyone have an idea?.. Thanks

Tiny, I would grab the phone book and call your local butchers or the local big box stores like Sams or who ever is located in your area.
Google is also your friend.
Good luck.

You definitely want to ask your meat supplier how many ounces for each breast. If you buy the meat at Costco or Sam's then buy one package and count how many there are per pound. We have a meat supplier who will bring us 6oz. breasts, etc. But it does vary at different places.

It all depends on the supplier! I am getting about 65 -75 breast as my breast come in 40lb. cases. They are huge and can be quartered (bone-in double breasted mod).

Maybe Country or Big Mista will chime in as they were more imtimate with the Chix boobs at our last wedding we cooked.

You definitely want to ask your meat supplier how many ounces for each breast. If you buy the meat at Costco or Sam's then buy one package and count how many there are per pound. We have a meat supplier who will bring us 6oz. breasts, etc. But it does vary at different places.

I agree with Marsha, my supplier gets us 6 oz. breasts already flattened for easy grilling, costs a little more but no cutting and trying to figure out serving portions! :biggrin:

I agree with Marsha, my supplier gets us 6 oz. breasts already flattened for easy grilling, costs a little more but no cutting and trying to figure out serving portions! :biggrin:

Exactly! It costs a bit more, but saves a lot of your time on guess work and prep, etc. And many weekends the time saved is worth a whole bunch.

The Tyson Fresh packs at Sam's Club are 12 / 7 lb pack or 9.33 Oz / breast, so you can make 1 cut and serve 4.665 Oz portions!

YMMV!

Back