Upgrading setup need some input

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I am leaving my job because I found a new job. Long story short. I have 90 days that I can't take time off. My old job is paying out my vacation and my 401k.the 401k is money the company put in because i got my health insurance through my wife. I never put a dime in. So now I am thinking an upgrade of my setup is in order.

Current setup
10x10 caravan pop up
Couple tables
270 Smokers Sumo
Uds
Van to sleep in
Everything is in 5 plastic boxes. 4 categories and a general purpose box
Couple old lawn chairs
Tarps for side walls

Thinking about a utility trailer to strap my smokers to and free up some space. I have about $2,000 to make upgrades.
Van is 1800 lb tow capacity. Not alot to work with.

Where would you spend the money to upgrade?

1. A very good acct.
2. A tax atty.
3. A really good investment guy.

Make sure that they all have a good reputation and you feel comfortable with them.

So a trailer or another smoker are not good investments? Alright i suppose i can just roll it over into an ira and take my vacation time payout and enter a contest in sept. Keep rolling with the setup I have for now. Thanks guys.

So a trailer or another smoker are not good investments? Alright i suppose i can just roll it over into an ira and take my vacation time payout and enter a contest in sept. Keep rolling with the setup I have for now. Thanks guys.
Nope, horrible investments. Re-invest that money. An open utility trailer accomplished nothing except easier load in and out.

Nope, horrible investments. Re-invest that money. An open utility trailer accomplished nothing except easier load in and out.
yeah a buddy of mine suggested a 4x6 enclosed. Says it has better resale, can be used as shelter, can sit down in a chair to work if weather is bad. Doesnt weigh as much as some of the bigger ones. Probably could heat it and start earlier in the year.
For now i am just going to sit tight on it. Seems to be a concensus that I shouldnt spend it.

So I completely "get it" when it comes to investing in our hobby (business for some), but I'd have to agree with everything folks here have said about the 401k roll that over into an IRA or your penalties will be MASSIVE.

As for the vacation money, not that's another story ... that's "regular income" so do with that what you want!

I've been considering a trailer myself. I'm "the U-Haul guy" at competitions because I don't even own a truck so I have to rent every competition to load all my gear and smokers up, but it works for me for now for the amount of competitions I do.

Ok so my vacation is getting cashed out. No choice on that. Any thoughts about using 500 of that? Probably could pop a hitch on the van and rent a uhaul. Actually not that bad to rent one.
Thoughts?

Rusty,

Before you spend the money on a hitch go to the UHaul website and put in your vehicle information like you want to rent a trailer and they will show you which trailers they will rent to you. They are a very safety oriented company and will not just rent you a trailer that you choose, your vehicle must meet the standards to pull what they rent.

Better to check first than to put a hitch on and find out they only will rent you a 2X4 open trailer that would not make it any easier on you. They also install hitches and usually have decent pricing as well if that is the route that you choose to go.

No sense putting the "hitch" on the horse to find out it can't pull the "cart"

Spend the $500 on another comp, a nicer canopy with actual side walls, 2 new gravity chairs for better comfort, or another class. I wouldn't spend it on a rental trailer for 1 comp. That's 500 that's gone and in no way investing in your hobby.

"Spent all my money on booze, boats and bimbos. The rest of it I wasted."

Some smart guy some where said that.

Rusty, Rusty, Rusty your level of BBQ expertise and experience put you in the fun game, hobby class of cook. At this point you should only be spending money you could just as easy pitch in the wind and not cry over it.
Your familys financial future is your most important job, #1!!!

Rollover your 401K, add the $2000 to this years 401K limit. New job, put in as much as the company will match and then add more each year until you max it out.
Don't be the guy that is reaching retirement age and does not have the pot to pi** in.
Ed

The 1800 lb weight limit is going to crimp what you can do..

THe trailer and smoker will eat up a bunch of that.. Check your trailer weight.

Furthermore. there is a lot of wind load on a cargo trailer..

I got a 6 x 10 open ALUMINUM trailer.. It allowed me to get the weight and not have to loadand unload the cooker.. Cooked on the trailer.. No shelter just some more convenience..

Back