View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
People's choice is a true competition only when the tasting is completely blind -- we've done exactly one blind-judged people's choice.

When people's choice is not blind, it quickly degenerates into a sideshow atmosphere, and has nothing whatsoever to do with whether the product is particularly good. It makes great sense for locals trying to drum up business for catering.

It comes down to deciding what you're there for. If you're there to compete, why distract yourself with trying to be a carnie?
I 100% agree with Alexa. Local teams and the Carnie type atmosphere make the $ in a PC event...at least out here in AZ. It's not a true competition out here but, as stated above, truly a sideshow.

I'm actually proud to admit that we are Carnies during the PC portion of a BBQ contest. We bring out all of our stupid-a$$ trophies (which I absolutely hate) and attempt to sell as much product to the public as we can. It is unbelievably amazing how the public will gather to see stupid, shiny, cheap-ass trophies.....like ferrets to foil.

We are there to compete, but we are also there to support and raise money for our charity. That being said, we have a slightly different agenda than a vast majority of teams. When we lose sight of one or the other without balancing them equally....we'll probably quit.