View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Possibly. If we were already at a sanctioned competition, and if we had free room
on the cooker, and if the hand-out didnt conflict with the other turn-ins, then yes,
I might. However, we already do 2 cooks each year for just charity (no competing,
just long overnight cooks), so honestly, thinking about it, no, I probably wouldn't.
I wouldn't want it to conflict with and/or take time away from the other categories.
People coming up, hand-out, etc. takes time and effort.

We do, however, compete in a Peoples Choice at a competition where it's completely
blind. They provide the pork butts and the foil tray for turn-in. The next morning,
an hour before any other turn-in, there's a turn-in for this. We return it filled with
pulled and sauced pork. They handle/manage the Peoples Choice and we dont have
to worry about the hand out, etc. Also, any team can win, as they're blind.

Peoples choice ribs? Isn't that going to be tough to administer? Thinking, how many
ribs (the actual rib) can you cook to give out enough samples for a judging? If I
cooked say 15 racks of ribs, with what, 8 ribs on each slab, that's 120 ribs for hand
out. So, you're looking at roughly enough meat for 120 *judges*, if they each sample
a rib from each team to determine which they liked best... I dont know... Also,
as this forum tends to be very KCBS centric, do the teams have nearly enough cook
space to cook 15 racks of ribs each? That would take a lot of free BGE's to cook
15 racks of ribs.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote