My pit is peeling please help...

gotribe28

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So the inside of my pit is peeling how or what do I do? It is kept covered when not in use and was seasoned very well I am really confused...

I am worried because that stuff falls off... Also on my CL score the Weber Gold the lid to that is doing it also...

The outside...

20130629_100532.jpg

And the inside if you need a clearer pic let me know...

20130629_094632.jpg

Probably just carbon build up. Either way, scrape it off, rub some oil on it if you feel the need and start cooking.

I"m pretty sure what you are experiencing is a buildup of materials created from the process of burning wood and cooking food that adheres to the grill surfaces. I've had this on my gasser, Weber kettles, WSM, and Akorn. Try crumpling up some aluminum foil and cleaning it off. It's pretty much a natural effect.

Scrape it off and get to cookin. Don't go nuts, just take it off. No need to bust out the sandblaster.

Oh no! That's toxic paint.
Better crate that thing and send it to me for proper disposal.

No really, that might even be called creosote...but another smart farker will know for sure. Not a big deal. I let mine flake off on my steaks and just call it garnish.

My WSM is doing this. Freaked me out at first as some big "sheets" came off! :wacko:

It is jus creosote, peel it off or hit it up with a pressure washer... It will burn by the way. Not like gasoline combustable but it will take a flame. That is what builds up inside house chimneys that starts chimney fires. All grills and smokers get this.

Plastic paint scraper is what I use. scrape it off vacuum it out and your golden. Its nothing to worry about.

It appears to be build up that was caused from large quantites of carbon.

Creosote is the sign of a happily used smoker. Although it tastes like crap and is a little unsightly, it does provide protection against corrosion. When the build up gets too much, just do like the guys say above and hit it with a scraper or wire brush. It comes off much easier when warm. Lastly, mine is much better than yours! :)

Sorry for the two pictures, as I only wanted the one with the door shot... Can't figure out how to delete the first... :(

Attachments

• butt iii.jpg
    butt iii.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 138
  • Butts ii.jpg
    Butts ii.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Carbon build up probably. Mix in a little grease laden smoke probably. If you really have creosote, which I doubt, it means you are using some very poor charcoal and or resinous wood and it would not be good for your health.

Back