??on MODs for owners of Brinkman Smoker King Deluxe

C

CaptFrank

The Brinkman looks just like the Bandera but I think the Firebox is set up different. I am not happy with the Firebox because the ash tray is too shallow and the grate for the charcoal not well made. The Bandera looks like it is set up with adjustable grate retainers which allows for a basket to be used. I would be open to any MODS that have been done to improve the Firebox.

WELCOME ABOARD-- CaptFrank.

It seems that all the "consumer" smokers have the same problem. Blasted firegrate almost lays on the floor of the firebox. Any fool knows ya need 3 or 4 inches under the grate for airflow. I guess the engineers never used a smoker.

The Brinkman owners will chime in later- everyone is cooking today.

Some guys use firebricks to raise the fire grill.

This can also be fixed by buying the shelf mounts from CharBroil and bolting them into the Brinkman. Part #25601012. Mis-labled in the CharBroil literature as "adjustable shelf", but it is really the 4 mounts with a hardware bag. Costs about 10 bucks or so. Phone is 1-800-232-3398
Then, move the cheapie grate up to a shelf mount. May have to lay rebar or other metal strips under the shelf if it is not wide enough.

I'm making a grate out of 3/8 rebar with 1/4 inch spacing which should work a bunch better than stock. Not done yet.

Long term fix- Brother Big Al makes an awesome basket for the Brinkman and the Bandera. He is between production runs right now while he figures out a new price. The price of steel has gone outa-sight!

The ash pan will be big enough if you burn all wood like some of us do. Ash is about nothin' from wood. Charcoal will leave a pretty good pile, but if it is 3 or more inches below the firegrill, you can just deal with it after the burn. Should be a minor problem.

While you wait for better answers, hop into Cattle Call and tell us about youself! We can swap lies about boat driving over there!

Also, peruse the Bandera 101 document! World of info there!

TIM

Cap'n, just to clearify, the tabs in the NB/CB are supposed to be for the fire box cooking great (grilling grate) to sit on at different distances from the same ash pan and fire grate arrangement you have. Many use the tabs as part of their fire box mod. You don't need them but they can be helpful. Good Luck.

kcquer said:
Cap'n, just to clearify, the tabs in the NB/CB are supposed to be for the fire box cooking great (grilling grate) to sit on at different distances from the same ash pan and fire grate arrangement you have. Many use the tabs as part of their fire box mod. You don't need them but they can be helpful. Good Luck.
Scott is absolutely right has a good point.
Another Mod I used on one of my sons charcoal grills.
We took 4--3/8" bolts (non-galvanized) about 2" long. Also used 2 big (fender) washers per bolt. With the bolt head outside the box with a washer and a washer and nut on the inside, we had 4 mounting points sticking in to lay the fire grate on. Worked wonderful!
The first goal is to get the grate up off the floor.
Ya can't even do a decent curing burn with the stupid thing laying on the bottom.
TIM

The firegrate mod works in both the brinkman and bandera. If the brinkman doesnt have rails to set the grate on, either bolt a pice of steel angle inside it, or make a framed grate like i descrinbe in the Bandera 101 document and put a standoff on each corner using 4 insh stanless steel bolts with nuts and washers. Easy to do.

Back