Highschool football team cook

CrimsonSmoke

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I ask for ideas about a week ago and got great advice. This will be a post game meal after their last game. (Which should make them undefeated we hope). The team is the Bob jones Freshman. They have been getting crappy pre game meals. I.E. a sandwich from the vend machine and a banana or bring their own sometime. To celebrity the awesome year I am cooking pulled pork sandwiches for them to eat after the game while they watch JV game. There are 60 people counting coaches,
We will start cooking on Friday night and be finished by Sunday night. I am off Monday for finally prep stuff.

the plan:
  • Got 70 pounds of pork butts and shoulders.
  • Start prepping meat on Wed. making rubs and inject.
  • Thursday – Inject meat still in cryo vac.
  • Friday 5:00 start fires and add rub to meats. Put on smokers
After they go through the process pull them and put in container and final prep.

Make sandwiches with 6 or 8 oz per sandwich. Wrap in sandwich wrap (individual foil wraps)
Pre make 200 to go to the game.

Have extra in pan just in case I ran short can make more on the spot if needed.

The only side will be the small bag of chips and bottled water to drink.

This way it stays nice and simple for serving. Got 3 coolers to put food in. Any ideas on how to keep food warm.

Most important thing This is the first big cook for my son and I

Thanks for any and all advice and tips that you can share.:eek:

That sure is a nice thing your doing for the Freshmen, hope they make it to the top!

How about putting red bricks in foil and heating in oven and placing them in preheated coolers? Normally a whole butt will stay hot due to mass but individual sandwiches? Congrats to the team.

I think if you make the sandwiches ahead of time and wrap, you are going to have one sloppy mess. The buns will fall apart and turn to mush with all the moisture. I would make them up on site with a small assembly line. Won't take long and they will get a sandwich to remember.

I think if you make the sandwiches ahead of time and wrap, you are going to have one sloppy mess. The buns will fall apart and turn to mush with all the moisture. I would make them up on site with a small assembly line. Won't take long and they will get a sandwich to remember.

I agree with PigBoy, the buns are going to be smashed flat as well.

I would get a few buss tubs, shred them in the tubs. Thats how we do it, then serve. Im sure your going to serve a better product.

Dont forget squeeze bottles of bbq sauce as well.

Definitely assemble on site, will also help keeping the pork hot. Preheat the cooler with some warm water, add additional insulation via towels.

75 pounds??? That's about 37 pounds cooked, 60 guys, hungry guys, it's like 8 ounces a man....might reconsider more butts. I'd shoot for 12 oz a guy here. Good eaters for sure. 2 six ounce sandwiches, and probably guys coming back looking for more. Scott

You guys are right on money. Did test on pre making and wrap they look like chit. Will be doing on sight prep. Also up 90 pounds due to getting butts on sale for .89# at local butcher. going with 8 oz per sandwich. I cooked a 8.5# butt this past weekend and got 5# cooked. I used a 60% yield in the catering spreadsheet.

Back