modified ABS Cube vertical offset wood burning pit

roadog30

Found some matches.
Reaction score
This is an ABS Bar-Be-Cube with an Englander wood burning stove attached as the firebox. Its been my project over the last couple weekends, hopefully going to finish it this weekend and do a pork shoulder test run. Still need to put the firebox on wheels and add a few additional intake vents for better combustion... but getting close!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

That's kool but what was wrong with the original design that prompted you to hack up a new pit?

That's kool but what was wrong with the original design that prompted you to hack up a new pit?

Really just wanted the option to run it as a stick burner as well as the vertical set up. The good news is, there was no "hacking" to the pit... really all I did was "enlarge" the rear intake vent (which can still be used as an intake vent as needed) and add some additional exhaust to the top. Well see, hopefully it will work well.

Interesting idea, keep us posted on the cooks. The support frame system seems a little underthought, do the two pieces come apart?

I agree and they do. Ultimate goal would be to put it all on one frame/cart.

I like the concept. Have you run into any chamber temp limitations?

Not yet, assuming I understand your question. I have had no issues getting it up to and over 300, and at the same time no issues maintaining 230ish.

my cube

I got my mounted to a trailer, Ill be posting photos when the weather clears up. its on a hf 40 x48 trailer I extended the size to 5 foot. the cubes on back and a smartbin from wm on front for storage. after abt 8 cooks I get pretty even temps top/bottom, front/back, but the guage on the smoker needs a longer stem for accurate readings. i like the heats plates above the firebox, imho it helps flavor the meat ( like a lang maybe) now it has crossed my mind to sell it and get that dang lang as my wife and kids call it. I really want that lang 48 or 60 deluxe. But.... this cube is really nice and holds alot of meat in a small space.

Back