chicken

W

woodfolks

Well ive been working on my cooking this summer
about evry week.
I have decided to use my UDS for brisket and shoulder cooking

I will cook ribs in my WSM 18.5.

Still not sure what to do with the chicken. I have been working on the gas grill
and think I have a good brine and such but have not had much luck
smoking the chicken tried Jumpin Jims and did not like that much

I have been thinking about getting a weber grill 18" gold or silver to cook about
12-14 thighs inderect for doing my chicken on. What do you folks think of this
idea or do you think the judges are looking for more of a smoke on
them. In any event how do you rate the use of the weber grill.

Interesting, so far, I'm the opposite - ribs on the UDS and brisket and shoulder on the WSM. I do chicken on the UDS. It came out so good the first time on the UDS that I haven't gone back to the WSM.

12-14 thighs on an 18" kettle indirect? I'd reconsider that.

Drums are awesome Chicken cookers.

I disagree about chicken on the uds, maybe i don't get mine hot enough. The UDS on the other hand is a rib cookin machine.
I bought a one touch silver 22" at walmart yesterday for $89. It did a great job on some chicken quarters. Crispy bite thru skin. Assembly time was only about 10 or 15 minutes, with just a hammer and a philips screwdriver.

my UDS is holding times for cooking of 16 plus hours with just
working with the vents. I think I could get 20 hrs but just never needed
to cook that long. Thats using minion with 13# kingsford

I have not done chicken on mine yet. I should give it a try.
My UDS will crank to 500 deg if I need it to or I can drop it
to 190. I can not do that with my WSM.

What do you folks do on the smoker for your chicken

I think I will go for a 22 in have to take a trip to walmart

I used to cook my chicken on a 22 webber, I never did all that well on it though. I have recently switched to a proQ excel 20 and the last contest I did I actually used a ECB for the chicken and got 2nd. So who knows what will work. It has a lot more to do with your method and flavor than it does with the cooker you use.

I have only done two comps but I cook the brisket and pork butts on one drum, ribs on another drum, and the chicken on the WSM because it will get the hottest.

I have a Weber kettle and I also do my chicken on it. In my opinion you can't go wrong because you can either use direct or indirect without much trouble. I would for sure get the 22" as I had an 18" and trying to stuff 12-14 thighs indirect was pretty tight! But it could be done.

I have also been trying a new method of smoking indirect on my smoker and then finishing on the kettle with some direct heat to crisp up the skin. (I usually have the Weber going anyways for brats or hot dogs)

Back