Bobby Flay Rib throw-down with pit-master Ed Michell

I beg to differ my friend. I would say that all of these commercial BBQ restaurants have similarities. However, if you want "the good stuff", you have to cook it yourself or have someone cook it for you that knows how. It is an art and restaurants don't take the time to do it right because of the volume they deal with (even if they know how).

You're right. And it gets chopped to death. SCNB, White Swan, Holt Lake...It's all good, but all the same.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. 99% of the stuff around here tastes the same. Whole hog, gas pig cooker, slow cooked, chopped to death and sauced with a vinegar variant. It's good, but it ain't mine :becky:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. 99% of the stuff around here tastes the same. Whole hog, gas pig cooker, slow cooked, chopped to death and sauced with a vinegar variant. It's good, but it ain't mine :becky:

That is why once *you* learn how to do it yourself the Q that comes from your cooker is better than what is served in a restaurant. Restaurants do not have the luxury of putting the *love* into each individual piece of meat like the backyarder does. Most cook for the masses and with anything dealing with large numbers. The larger the number the lower the quality gets.

You're right. And it gets chopped to death. SCNB, White Swan, Holt Lake...It's all good, but all the same.

SCNB & White Swan are fast food variants of barbecue. What do you expect? LOL

Holt Lake is a poor example of barbecue. Sorry you had to suffer through that one.

Yes, the bbq in NC is chopped fine. That is a regional thing. The fine chopping allows the thin vinegar sauce to flow throughout the meat. Pulled bbq doesn't give you the same effect.

Find you a good traditional joint that still cooks over wood. You won't think "they all taste the same" anymore. :thumb:

Some of the big names in BBQ do ribs hot and fast. Ed, Famous Dave's, Rendezvous, etc. I like my ribs done low-n-slow, with a char on the end of the process. At the end of the day it's all about making delicious food to eat with a good craft brew, quality whiskey, or nice glass of wine.

Throw Down

I watched the Flay VS Mitchell 'Throw down'.
I think Mitchell apparently cooked 'Direct Grilling' with wood. (High Temps.)
Flay apparently pre-smoked his ribs. I couldn't tell if Bobby Flay was cooking on the fly or not. (Against the law in many states, don't know about N.C.)

Every once in a while I get up to N.C.... I need to eat some of Mitchell's ribs to see for myself.

Every once in a while I get up to N.C.... I need to eat some of Mitchell's ribs to see for myself.

Go to The Pit in Raleigh (or their upcoming Durham location) and sample the ribs Ed taught them how to cook...but Ed isn't with The Pit anymore.

Back