• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I kinda screwed up my UDS build... Need a solution

I have three 3/4 inch vents, they are the size you want. They work great and I can get more heat if I want it.

Be sure you have "close" type nipples. If you still can't get a tight fit, use some washers to make up the space. I'd also use a little hi-temp silicone on the washers to make sure it will not leak air. Good luck.

Is there another kind of nipple other than a close nipple?
Yes... . When I was building mine, I was dry fitting the parts and the nut would only go so far onto he nipple. There are ones out there that are tapered larger toward the middle and the nut will not screw on. After a quick look at the directions I found on here. They def say close one...

Bigger the better, I have four 1" open holes on my UDS, and use fridge magnets to close them down when needed. You can always close off the intakes, but if they are too small, you can't do much to hit higher temps when you need to.

To be crystal clear.. pipe nipples aren't needed to make a functional UDS. They are a luxury.

Bigger the better, I have four 1" open holes on my UDS, and use fridge magnets to close them down when needed. You can always close off the intakes, but if they are too small, you can't do much to hit higher temps when you need to.

To be crystal clear.. pipe nipples aren't needed to make a functional UDS. They are a luxury.

Yeah, Ropo, Thanks for helping keep things in perspective. I took the nipples out last night and cooked up some tasty chicken thighs just the same.

Alright, so I was stripping the outside of the drum last night and got a good look at my nipple situation. First off, I was wrong on my sizing. I did drill 1" holes and have 3/4" nipples.

I bought the type of nipples that flare or expand in the middle, so my lock nuts FELT tight, but that was because they weren't screwing up tight against the drum, even with the screwdriver/hammer technique, they were just screwed as far up on that nipples as they could go.

At this point I'm realizing that I didn't fark up the drum, just bought the wrong eqipment. So, I'm going to get her painted up and learn to use this thing with some magnets and worry about adding the fun stuff to it later.

You know, K.I.S.S

take back the 1/2" nips and get 3/4" the bigger the nipple the better :wink::bow::twisted:.

just put a lock nut on both sides. it dose not need to screw fit the hole.

That was my solution.

I used 2" sections of 3/4" threaded pipe.
{4 Intake pipes}
Lock nut inside, Lock Nut outside, and End Caps to adjust air flow, and
keep the critters out when not in use. I did come back and put a Ball Valve on one
of my pipes to regulate my intake. Works for me.

I drilled {6} 1" holes for Exhaust, in the barrel lid.
{More Exhaust than Intake makes it easier to reach higher temps.}

To close down the Exhaust I used {6} 3/4" stubs that are 1" long.
I put an End Cap on those. Close off the Intakes, then for the Exhaust
I Drop em in and shut it down.
Fire smothers out really quick.

Last edited:
Back